bought the 04 wr250

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
Want to thank everyone for their help, I bought the 04 wr250 tonight for $2300, he had all the original parts and gave me some pants, the chest back thing, gloves and goggles. I think it was a great deal, bike ran great and Yamaha has been doing the work on the bike so I feel better about it.

If my head wasn't so big I would have gotten a helmet too.

Now I just have to get a tow hitch and a trailer.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Nice job on the WR...that will make an excellent trail bike. You need to head up to Red River to go riding. I live in Lewisville and it is a 77 mile drive....not bad.

What kind of vehicle do you drive? A guy here at work has a motorcycle rack that fits into the receiver hitch...seems to work great. It eliminates the need for a trailer. I have a truck, so I just put my bikes in the bed.

Go down to Cyclegear in Bedford or Bates #2 off of Valwood and 35 and buy yourself a helmet. I bought one from each place...they run deals from time to time.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
Yes I did, it looks like a great place. I will probably join because I like to camp out every now and then and hope to go often. I may go to grapevine next weekend to try the bike out. Waiting on the equipment I bought to get here.

You must be just south of me, I am by 1171 and 2499.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
Based on everyone recommendations on equipment I went on a online shopping spree this morning. As you can see I am more interested in price than I am in any particular brand, got most of it through closeouts or sales. Now that I am broke, all I can hope is that I actually enjoy riding dirt bikes and use the stuff. Maybe I should have ridden a bike once before I spent all that money?

ALPINESTARS TECH 3 BOOTS
FOX DELUXE TOOL PACK
BELL MOTO 8 Yamaha Blue (it was $149 ($399-$250 in a closeout))
EVS BB1 Ballistic Kidney Belt
Axxis Jersey
Camel back classic Hydration
EVO Race collar
XCR Socks
MSR Gloves
LBZ Pants
Answer Roost deflector
Goggles

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Well done, nothing matches!

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Yep, I am east of your area. It looks like you went all out on gear...thats definitely not a bad idea. I bought my stuff a little at a time to cushion the hit. I had a set of old Alpine Stars boots given to me from a guy at work....you cant beat free. I just bought a pair of Fox boots worn twice on Ebay for $56 shipped....there are deals on Ebay and Craigslist if take the time to look. I dont mind used...especially for boots. My expenses are double because I have 2 bikes, but all my friends get is a helmet. I explained if they wanted other gear, they are going to need to fork out some cash.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
I can't tell what the differences in the different levels of membership at rrmt, do you know?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Dont worry about membership for now...just show up and sign in. It will cost you $15 to ride all day. If you are anything like me, you will be leaving by 2:00. I became a member because I had to in order to reserve a camping space with electricity. I have a buddy with a toy hauler trailer and we camped there last week. I drive a black 4WD Tundra with black wheels...its hard to miss (no trailer). If you are out there, stop by. I ride the Yamaha.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
I will look for you when I am out there, not sure if my helmet will be here by this weekend or not. I am looking forward to camping out there some night that's why I was thinking about the $25 membership since it would save me $5 a day and camping fee's. I will be easy to notice; the one with every possible piece of new safety padding on and doing about 10mph lol.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
looks like the helmet will be here Friday but don't know if the boots will make it by then. May wear my old military boots and try out trophy club this weekend.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Military boots will work for your first ride...I dont imagine you will get too crazy. Do you mean the trails out by Lake Grapevine, near Roanoke? I havent ridden it, but cant get too excited about 250 acres after riding 2000 at Red River, but it will be a good start. I think we might go to Bridgeport.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
I think that's the place got it off txtracks, its on the western tip of lake Grapevine. There are not a lot of details on Bridgeport other than it having 1900 acres. Have you ridden it before? What is the cost?

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I havent ridden Bridgeport, but I saw a thing on the news about it..its new. It seems like a good place. The only thing I didnt like is that they allow Jeeps..thats a bit scary for bike riders.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Cool...you will like RRMT, or Muenster, as most call it. Go to Google Maps, Satellite search Bulcher, TX, pull the screen to the left (west) and look for a big sandy area...zoom in and look for a building that is the start of the trail. I normally ride about every other week and I rode this past weekend. The guy that rides my XR is divorced with a kid and has visitation every other week...hence the schedule.

Well..apparently, Bridgeport has 2 trails. I went to Twin Hills and it was not worth the $10 I paid. It is owned by a rancher and about 50% or more is pasture with cows grazing...another 25% is very technical and rocky..dont go there.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
I understand the schedule, I go through the same thing with my kids.
Did the small place at lake Grapevine Friday and had a great time. Twelve dollars for 250 acres isn't great but for a quick fix when I only have an hour or two it will come in handy.

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
Nice bike man! The more gear the better. Do you guys ever hit rocky ridge? I live on the south side of dfw so it's almost half the distance for me. Nice trails for a day trip at 15 bucks but not as nice as red river.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
JB tried it last week and didn't like it much, he talks about it on the 2nd page of this post. Twin Hills is closer to you too, haven't tried it though.

I agree with having more gear, since I did this post I have added a Leatt Club, elbow and knee guards. I think I spent more on gear than I did the bike LOL.

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
I believe he is talking about bridgeport or twin hills like you mentioned. Rocky ridge is north east of that and north east of decatur if you look on tx tracks map with an xc tag. Its $15 a day to ride. They claim 650 acres. Ive ridden there many times and am not tired of it yet. Much more than two trails.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Did you go up to Red River, or did the rain keep you away? They are closed for a race this weekend. If it dries out next week, I may go.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…