Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I'll probably be flamed myself...and yes it's the holidays and things fly off the shelves...so I tell the sales tech that I want this LED TV/PS3 bundle (that's on sale until tomorrow). "Oh I'm sorry sir but no store nationwide has any left". I say "What about the floor unit?" He says 'Sorry sir but since we are advertising it we are required by law to keep one on the floor and it's not for sale". The bastages should remove the sale card which lured me in. And yes he did try a bait and switch at one point. Hey my real gripe was this major electronic outlet does not honor any type of military discount - heck yeah I take advantage of them!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Rain check.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Patman said:
Rain check.
Unfortunately the small print says no rain checks offer limited to stock in store and each store is guaranteed to have at least 2 in stock (not necessarily for sale) :|
I am guessing this Big Box has the same initials as the real store BB and rhymes with Best Buy

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
And the stores wonder why people prefer to shop on line.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yep, my wife found a wonderful deal on a TV there but alas, the TVs don't actually exist. She also tried that same package deal that you mentioned. Same result, right down to the floor model "no sale".

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
The next chain, to go down the drain? Screw us hard, and run away. Vintage Bob
this could be the chorus of a music from eminem.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
got my tv from amazon online and a great deal. its been 2 years and the identical model is just now coming down to the price i paid

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Uchytil said:
"Oh I'm sorry sir but no store nationwide has any left". I say "What about the floor unit?" He says 'Sorry sir but since we are advertising it we are required by law to keep one on the floor and it's not for sale". The bastages should remove the sale card which lured me in.!

Had a similar experience at BB. Went in to buy a $ 1,700.00 LED TV that they had advertised for $999.00. Sounded like a hell of a deal. Of course, they were out of stock. Asked about the floor model. Nope, can't sell you that one. :coocoo: Asked if we could order one. Yes we could but not at the sale price. :bang:

Went in a few days later to look at another TV and noticed they still had the sale price on the TV that we originally wanted. Told the sales person, "We'll take that one." She went back and soon returned to tell us they were out of stock. So I told her to order us one. She said the listed price was wrong but she could order one for the new price. I informed her that Fry's had the same TV, in stock for $999 and that BB has a price matching policy. She looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights and stuttered and stammered for about five minutes. She must have already known of Frys price since she never asked me to show proof of Frys price on the TV. Of course BB is about five minutes from our house and Frys is all the way in Orange County. Plus I didn't care to do business with Frys anyway.

The TV was supposed to be delivered to our house on Tuesday by 7:00 PM. The 7:00 PM deadline came and went and no TV. Called the store and asked if they had the TV in stock. Guess what? They had them in stock. Of course it was at the new price. Called the manager and said our TV was not delivered as promised. He said the TV was backordered. I told him we will be down to pick up the one he has in stock. More stuttering and stammering...

Long story short, we got the TV that we wanted for the price we wanted to pay. It pays to be persistent. Just don't take no for an answer. ;)

RYDMOTO

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2001
Well let me tell you how I lucked out at Best buy.

A few years ago I was interested in the Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma.Was keeping an eye on prices. Pioneer exits the plasma business. So prices began to drop. MSRP 6500.00...With Pioneers exit they were at the time hovering around 5500.00 I stopped in one Saturday evening to look at the Kuro again and to check prices. There was an open box model on the floor with a price of 3800.00.
I ask what's wrong with it and the salesman says was returned because it was too large for the costumers room. Salesman walk away...He comes back and says the manager said I can have it for 3500.00. Best Buy had the 3 year no interest going. I told him I would sleep on it.Sunday morning 10:00am I came back and purchased it.I asked how they would deliver it and the sales guy said they would bubble wrap it and be very careful so I asked for a Tuesday delivery. Monday I called and changed the delivery to Thursday as my room was not ready. Thursday comes and the delivery van pulls up and I watch the techs pull out a brand new in the box unit!! And yes I did mention it was supposed to be a used unit and the tech guy just shrugs his shoulders. So come to find out that was Best Buys cost for the unit. So yes I got very lucky.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
since Circuit City went down, you'd think they would have absorbed a bunch of business...but there is so much online competition.

The bait and switch thing has been going on forever. Or a loss leader product with only a minimum number in the store (it isn't that they couldn't obtain more, it's that they want you to buy another item with more markup).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom