Boyesen Rad valve, worth the $

duke

Oct 9, 1999
For those who have installed one of these devices, did you find the cost worth what ever perfomance gain was acheived?

Bill

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I liked the one in my 2000 enough to buy one for the 2001. Will get one for the 02 when I get around to it.

Noticeable difference in my opinion. This is the ONLY aftermarket performance mod I do to my bikes.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Good Link Twiztid, I didn't realize this was a KDX specific question until today. Makes a noticeable difference on the CR...haven't tried one on the KDX.

In regard to the info provided in that link though, I have not been able to find Pro series reeds for $30....more like $50, and I got the 01 Rad valve off of ebay for $95 new. I was waiting to find one for the 02 at that price or cheaper so in that respect, I guess I don't think it is worth what most places charge for it.

Does anybody have a source for $30 Pro Series Reeds? May just go that route on the 02.

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The Rad valve comes with a pro series reed (specific to the valve though). I bought the 00 used and the Rad Valve was already installed. I have used the bike for two years now running about 100 gallons of fuel through it (I track fuel use not hours) and the reeds are in excellent shape and still close tight. I don't know how much more life they have left....but I think lasting 2-3 years already is decent....they will probably go another year or more.

Supposedly, the Pro Series is better for high rpm stuff while giving the same boost to the lower and middle of the power reeds. I most likely am not "PRO" enough to take advantage of all that....but it's hard to switch from something that works.

Will look to see if I can get power reeds for 30...might be a fun and relatively cheap experiment.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Everyone is welcome to run whatever they wish.

This said in other threads.....but, I've run the boyesen radvalve compared to the stock reed cage and compared side by side to a DFII. There is no comparison. The radvalve is a waste of time. The DFII isn't. The DFII is the only way I can run a -30 in the woods. It runs as well as the -35 ever did..AND I fun the fun-on-top, too! Set to low tension, btw. I tried high a couple of times (different valves, different reed stops, different reeds)..didn't care for it at all.

IMO and all.

My radvalve reeds didn't last a year.

Seeing as the two valves cost pretty much the same $$ these days (they've come down a LOT in the past year), the choice is simple. The one that works.

Top Bottom