schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I am looking to purchase a set of boysen dual stage power reeds for my IT175/yz100 frankenstien bike.

I would assume I do not need to change my jetting, since it's behind my carb.

I have heard that I do not re-install the reed limiters (I know this is not what they are called, but you all know what I am talking about), so they can open further, flow more air, and thus make more power. is this true? do I put them back on?

thanks!
-Alex

Last edited:

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
if the directions in the package say to leave them off then leave them off,also if you change the airflow whether before, after or in the middle of the engine you may have to rejet

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok thanks! sounds good.

and I'm not sure what I was thinking. brain fart! of course I would have to rejet if it changes the airflow substantially! :nener:

anyone else ever installed them? what did you do?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I have them on my YZ85.. I left off the "limiter" as you call it..

I didn't rejet specifically for the new reeds, but I did rejet due to the bike being crazy rich.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
schmanman said:
thanks! did they add power?
and have you had any issues since you left the cages off?

I wouldn't say that there was a power increase, not anything noticeable that is.

What they did do is calm the hit a little bit.. Being that I'm way too big for that bike, it would tend to want to wheely out from under me when I got on it hard.. That was less of a problem after in stalling those reeds.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
ok. thanks for clearing that up for me!

no issues then... that's good.

for $32, It's good to have peice of mind that the reeds wont break or get sucked into the engine and destroy my top end with shards of reed when I take the cages off. :laugh:

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
even if the reeds did break they probaly wouldnt do any damage they would just break up and go out the exhause. your bike would bog from not having any reed action because there would be no pressure the other reed wouldnt flap all the gas would just come from where the broken reed came from.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
obviously the bike would not run without reeds.

but I have heard stories about broken reeds chewing up engines.

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
schmanman said:
obviously the bike would not run without reeds.

but I have heard stories about broken reeds chewing up engines.

Thats not something you have to worry about ive had lots of reed chip and break off and nothing has ever happened.

Top Bottom