BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
Does anyone use a BR7ES plug besides me?I havent had any problems,but I'm a little nervous.The owners manual says it's OK,so I'm trying it.

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
The '7' is a hotter plug than the '8'. Bigfoot16, is there a need to run a hotter plug? :eek:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I run a BR7ES and think most 89 to 01 KDX owners should. Unless you spend a lot of time at higher throttle settings or run in high load conditions the stock BR8ES doesn't get hot enough to keep its self clean. Deposits quickly form on a plug that is too cold. Its important to run an appropriate heat range plug especially when you’re relaying on the condition of your plug to guide you when jetting. You’re jetting my be excellent but if your plug is too cool then you will likely see deposits on the nose of the plug leading you to believe that your jetting is too rich.

Like most manufactures the KDX is delivered with a very conservative heat range plug. In my opinion the factory's plug selection is as conservative as their jetting and we all know how grossly conservative that is.

I've heard many people say that increasing the heat range of the plug is a lazy short cut to compensate for poor jetting, hog wash. With out an appropriate plug installed you can't expect it to stay clean or get a meaningful reading from the plug.

BigFoot run your 7 and enjoy it! IMO you're right on track.

David

Moj

Nov 5, 1999
SE MN
I run a BR7ES in the KDX.

It seems to makeup for running the jetting slightly rich.:confused:

As long as the temperature isn't 100 degrees and your running 80% + of the time WFO you should be OK.

I Hope this helps.:cool:

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
Thanks for the feedback,guys.I have already jetted my bike to what I feel is a comfortable lean setting.As Dave mentioned,the 8es plug just wasn't burning clean enough for my likeing.The switch to the 7es,seems to make sense for my type of riding.I used to ride trials and used a 6es plug,with a 80:1 mix ratio.(This was in a Fantic).As I understand it,the plug doesn't create the heat,it removes it.Slower with a hot plug and faster with a cold plug.That may be oversimplifying it,but it's easier for me to remember.
Thanks again for all your input!!

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
would the hotter plug help out in eliminating the spooge coming out of the end of the pipe? i have been cruising a little slower the last few times out while my son has been learning to ride and noticed a lot more than usual,although the bike runs well...whadayathink?

flyinfish

Apr 27, 2001
I just switched 2 weeks ago to a 7. It's the first time I've seen that coffee brown color on the spark plug. I peviously averaged from 1-6 hours on a plug before it would foul. I have 10 hours on this one and it looks great. When I first switched I monitored it closely to make sure it wasn't running too hot, check out NGK's sight for warning signs, but now I ride confidently knowing it's safe. If it helps to ease your mind my bike calls for a 9 and I'm running two steps hotter @ a 7. Good luck!

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Dave & Flynfish,
Thanks for the tip. The manual for my 94KDX also calls for a B9 and i guess I'm lucky as I've been changing plugs every 5 rides (about 300 miles) out of guilt as the bikes has only fouled 1 plug (the time I stalled & fell over in deep, deep, mud). I will try a B7 as soon as I finish RB carb jetting (I'm getting close).

RADMAN

Jun 20, 2001
Spooge???

The question was posted above about the black spooge that comes out of the pipe.....I wonder too....would the hotter plug help with this or is there another solution????

A KDX BUZZ

Jun 10, 2001
br8es

i run an 8 with several proformance mods,but i dont wind out very often. The plug stays fairly clean after about ten hours or so with no fouling or visible wear. ??ANY thougts on splitfires? '98 kdx R

Last edited:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Regarding sparkplug heat range and jetting, it is absolutly imperative to have the correct heat range plug before embarking on a quest to jet the bike correctly.

A plug with the wrong heat range will confound the jetting process for most riders as the plug will give erroneous readings. For most riders of kdx's riding trails the best place to start would be a br7es.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Re: br8es

Originally posted by A KDX BUZZ
ANY thougts on splitfires?
My only experience with a Splitfire plug was when I threw it as far into the woods as I could. They absolutely are not worth the money. I run $1.19 Champion N3C plugs, and I never foul a plug with the jetting configuration I run. The Splitfire plug fouled within the first fifteen minutes of using it. I will never use another one.

flyinfish

Apr 27, 2001
Other than creating a lot of spooge and fouling plugs - what affect does a rich condition have on performance? I recently began messing with my jetting so that I could ride more while changing fouled plugs less. That was my only motivation. I couldn't be more pleased with my bike's performance up until the twenty kicks it takes me to realize the plugs fouled again. Before I ordered a new needle jet I decided to try a hotter plug. In my case I changed from a B9ES to an 8 then a 7. Now I have about 15 hours on the 7 without problems and I have the same performance I've always had. My plug now is coffee brown and dry, instead of black and wet when I remove it. Is there anything wrong with this? Can anyone rationalize for me why I would go put in a B9ES and begin jetting when I have already arrived at bliss?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Check out the " emegency jetting info needed RB design carb mod" for info on jetting and power delivery:D

flyinfish

Apr 27, 2001
Fishhead, I'm so glad you pointed me to that thread. The most important thing I learned is that if I begin jetting my carb I'll probably end up moving into the garage where my bike sleeps because my wife would leave me if I even thought about spending that much time tinkering. I thought I liked to tinker but you guys have way too much time on your hands. I'll go riding...foul a hundred plugs...rebuild my topend...and go riding again before you guys get your bike disconnected from the dyno.

I'm being facetious of course. I have the utmost respect for you guys and your ability to trouble shoot. That is why I come to this forum looking for advice. I just got a bike after fifteen years without one. I don't know why it took so long...part of life's twisted road I guess. Anyway it's nice to relate to guys that share the same passion. However, I'll stick to my spark plug fix until I find a desire to squeeze the last drop of power out of my bike. Until then I'll be riding. Thanks for your input.

After proof reading I still have to ask the question...if you were perfectly satisfied with your bike's performance as far power is concerned and a plug change like the one I made cleared up the fouling problem...would you still return to Kawasaki's recommended plug and then move away from Kawasaki's recommended jetting?

T.J.
:think

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Yes it's a sickness, but I like it!

But seriously, I intended to leave it stock!

Denny

I would stay with the plug that doesn't foul (BR7es) and jet for throttle response first and clean running second. Jetting is a very rider specific adjustment as some prefer a real smooth response and others prefer good snap. A lot will depend on riding style and conditions such as temp and altitude. I presume you have checked out the jetting recomendations on the Just kdx site for a starting point.

The biggest benefit to correct jetting is to fully realize the potential of the kdx. Granted the investment in time can be significant as in the case of the RB carb mod but with a stock 200 or bored 220 carb 95 and later the best needle choices appear to be a CEJ CEK or CEL with the stock #5 slide.CEL -2 or 3 is the best place to start. This jetting puts the carb in the mainstrean of the fuel/air venturi adjustment area which is much different than the stock needle which is leaner than average presumably to enhance the easy riding characteristics of the stock tuning and the restrictive intake

I dont suggest that this is for everyone, but for the 1/2 the cost of a set of reeds you can can get a different powerband and in the case of my bike as much as an improvement as changing the pipe from a stock to a rev.

This weekend a friend of mine is going to try some CGK and CGL needles in his 92 kdx.We'll see how it goes!

Well my wife says its time for bed so I have to go out in the garage;)

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Fishhead,

Any idea why Kawasaki specs the B9ES plug instead of the B7? I feel I need to finish jetting with the 9 so as not to introduce yet another variable although it seems that everyone is using the 7 with good results.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I presume they are a little conservative with the plug spec to avoid catastrophic engine failure at the hands of riders who don't recognize pinging or detonation.

If your manual states a 9 then I would try an 8 first and then a 7 if it still is to cold. One of my riding buddies used a fine wire 8 for years without problems in his 91 but its better to be a bit conservative.

You might want to check out the mods and performance forum and run a search on spark plug reading. There were some pictures posted of cut away plugs awhile ago and it was pretty interesting.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
flyinfish re: proof reading

After proof reading I still have to ask the question...if you were perfectly satisfied with your bike's performance as far power is concerned and a plug change like the one I made cleared up the fouling problem...would you still return to Kawasaki's recommended plug and then move away from Kawasaki's recommended jetting?

No.

As CDave said...the sparkplug range is conservative as is jetting. Keeping in mind that plug choice may well change with riding conditions, it's the CORRECT plug with the CORRECT jetting that is where you want to move TO.

There is more to gain from correct jetting than plug color. Besides the obvious (performance increase)..how about lack of spooge (that will plug up an aftermarket S/A), a clean or at least a cleanER KIPS mechanism, stuck rings etc.

And then there's the whole issue of ...it's just the RIGHT thing to do!! :D

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Ditto what canyncrver said plus a clean running bike smokes less and that gives our oppents one less thing to complain about

Top Bottom