duke

Oct 9, 1999
I posted this in Wardy's Riding column as well, but it certainly requires mention here. I recently purchased a copy of Brad Lackey's training book. The book is mamazing in that it offers advice that to this day is appicable. There are a few differences being advocated then versus today, butover all the advice would serve you well even if your seeking advice in negotiating an outdoor track. Of particular irony is Lackey's reference to the new delemma facing riders of that era:Doubles! Lackey offers advice that would safely get you over smaller doubles. Lackey also offers a whole chapter on diet and fitness. Again, sound basic principles are offered. I think Lackey still offers the book on his web site. You folks seeking advice more pertinent to racing an evo and/or vintage should consider getting a copy

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I've still got mine. I bought it when it first came out.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Though not nearly as lengthy as Lackey's book, is Ake Johnsons manuel called the Art of Motocross. My buddy has a copy that he purchased when the book was first released. I beleive it was even sighned by Johnson himself. The little book is a master piece. Most of the information concerns its self with line selection and how to attack turns. In terms of jumps, it was generally advocated to get as little air as possible in order to allow the bike to hook up. Advice that I still follow to this day, even with my modern stuff.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Brad Lackey was a Richmond Rambler. (also known as Richmond Redneck by some...)
Hard to believe you can smoke so much blunt and be a world champ.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by SFO
Hard to believe you can smoke so much blunt and be a world champ.

Maybe it helped him forget how scary the chassis was on his bike :eek:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
On Video

I found an old Brad's training video for sell about ten years ago and still watch it at least once a year.
Good info then --and still is now.

oabike

May 15, 2001
I got back into motocross after an 18 year hiatus. I purchased Lackey's book 20 years ago and had to get another copy for nostalgia. I used to do his workout religiously and my arms are still pumped. Seems like we all smoked a little,could ride like hell,and could get back up from the crashes and not be hurt for months.....

Top Bottom