Brake Bleading

kdx#627

Feb 5, 2004
I Going To Try To Blead My Brakes For The First Time This Weekend And Wanted To Run My Thoughts By You Guys.
I Bought A Gas Siphon Pump From Walmart And Will Try To Siphon From A Jar Up The Bleader Hose Into The Master Cylinder.
Or Just The Opposite.
Now That I Look At This Pump, It Might Not Work.
Any Thoughts??
David

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I know others here on the forum use a vacuum tool to bleed their brakes, but I found that a clear 3 foot piece of aquarium hose (use on the air pumps) on the caliper bleeder worked great. Just don't taste the brake fluid, it's pretty nasty. :)

cr80 kid

Mar 15, 2004
Hi,
First of all you should buy a service manual for both your bikes its one of the best things you will ever own! One way to bleed the back brake is to take off the rubber cap and loosen the nut, then just keep using the back brake and pushing it back into place. I am not sure about the front brake, but i think you will have to unscrew the cover near the brake lever and siphon all the fluid out. I hope this helps!

If you dont understand what im talking about tell me what bike you are doing this to and i will try to find you a diagram.

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
Yes the cr 80 kid is right, and a clear peice of tubing will work well. If you loosen the bleeder and push on the brake, this will force fluid or air out, make sure you tighten the bleeder before you let go of the brake lever or pedal each time. With the clear tubing you can direct where you want the fluid to go (in a jar or drain pan) and also see if there is any air in the lines. Make sure you keep a close eye on the fluid resivoir, you do not want to let it go dry. Vac. pumps or other devices used to help in bleeding brakes are not a good idea for some one to use when doing it for the first time with small fluid resivoirs due to how fast they can drain the entire system. Remember these steps: 1. open bleeder screw, 2. pull on the brake lever/ or push on the foot pedal, 3. tighten bleeder screw, 4. let go of the lever/ or foot pedal. Repeat steps 1-4 until you get out all the air or the fluid becomes clear. When people say they need to bleed thier brakes, that means they have air in the brake system, if this is the case you want to find out how air got in the brake system? Most cases are from a leak and the resivoir goes dry. If you are in fact just changing the fluid, you shouldn't have any air. Another way to remove just air is to route the tubing back up and inside the resivoir holding it in the brake fluid and repeatedly pulling the handle until there is no more air coming up the clear tubing. hope this helps- bjawes

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
The easiest method is to install Speed Bleeders. They replace your stock bleeder screws and have a built-on check valve so you don't need to tighten the bleeder screw when you're done squeezing. Just make sure to keep enough fluid in your master cylinder. http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…