Brake Line Routing KX forks on KDX

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
Well... I got me some really nice 2000 KX250 forks and front wheel for my KDX. :)

I'm now preparing for the install ...as soon as they arrive...

My question is...

Can I use my existing front brake line with the KX forks?

...or do I need to get a KX line.

gjc32

Jan 9, 2004
FLBusa said:
What? No replies?

I know someone out there has done this mod. Where are ya :cool:

I am doing this mod very soon. Where did you find the KX forks? I've just started this project.

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
gjc32,

I got the forks and front wheel off of Ebay. You gotta do some searching, but you will find something.

I think I got a pretty good deal... I paid $450.00 for the forks, axle, bearing, spacers, triple trees and all the guides and guards. Shipping was included and he also threw in a Vortex billet top triple clamp that accepts the fat ProTaper bars (2000 KX250). The wheel I got from another seller for $120.00 with a new Michelin Starcross tire. Hopefully I will get something for my old KDX forks and wheel which are in pristeen shape.

know_fear

May 19, 2000
I tried to use my KDX line but it just didn't work. A KX one is a better way to go.
Be prepared to make some changes to the shim stack. The high speed compression damping on those KX forks is brutal in the rocks and roots.

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
well ive ben around them alot and ill tell ya what yo get is a pair of kx 500 this will make your bike handel like a rocket ship and land like a feather

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Now that Honda no longer has the copyright on their brake line route you can go to some aftermarket companies and get a short Honda style brake line instead of the stock kx under-the-fork line. The kdx line would probably work, mine did on the 96kx forks, but I don't like all the extra line near the top of the h-bars.

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
tedkxkdx said:
Now that Honda no longer has the copyright on their brake line route you can go to some aftermarket companies and get a short Honda style brake line instead of the stock kx under-the-fork line. The kdx line would probably work, mine did on the 96kx forks, but I don't like all the extra line near the top of the h-bars.

Ted...

How did you route the stock line? I'll more than likely go with a new line but I might not have enough time before my next ride to install one.

Also... did you keep the KDX front head light or did you go with a number plate?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I used the stock kdx brake line metal bits (clamp) that hold the line by sandwiching. Put the line assembly and kdx caliper on the forks and see where the clamp should hold it. I went with allen head mushroom type bolts where the head is inside the fork slider. Also take off the fork guides they don't do much and have to be removed for this mod. The clamp with threads sits against the fork and then the other with a nut to tighten or clamp the line in place.
If you were at least a subscriber I would have posted a picture but sadly you cannot view being only registered.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Sorry, but I dont think you can use the stock head light. I had just the plastic shell on my bike that I used just for a front number plate. I think my shell was ufo, with the rubber straps, and I have never had a problem with it. No I have a MX number plate that I put on. I had to drill some holes in the very bottom of the plate so I could bolt it on to the bottom clamp, since the kdx stem is like 1/4's of an inch larger. But that wasn't a problem. I think if you want an actual headlight you can buy an aftermarket one with the rubber straps, or find some way of bolting on your stock head light.

Ben

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I find this thread most interessting because I just completed the KX front end conversion but did not yet have a chance to try it (too much snow, grrrr. :whiner: ..). Anyways, I read the previous replies and still don't understand why some of you consider changing the brake line. My stock KDX brake line and caliper seems to fit just fine on the KX forks and wheel. From the top, I routed the cable through the 2 circle plastic clips on the triple clamps, trough the guide on the fork guard and finally, between the wheel and the fork.

gjc32, you will keep the odometer if you manage to adapt your kdx hub (GOOD LUCK!). The easy way to go is forget about the odometer and install a KX wheel. For the light assembly, simple: If you are a little bit handyman, you should be able to make holding brackets for the bottom part of the light assembly (I was able to install the KDX upper holding bracket on the KX upper tripple clamp.).

Good luck :thumb:

know_fear

May 19, 2000
Go with the rubber straps instead. That way you can take a good hit to the headlight shell without breaking it. It just moves over then snaps back after the tree/stump/rock/friends bike is out of it's space. The straps can be purchased in different sizes to fit the stock forks or larger USD units. It works!

mbolton

Mar 7, 2004
FLBusa said:
Hopefully I will get something for my old KDX forks and wheel which are in pristeen shape.

Busa, what year is your KDX? I have a '91 that fell off my trailer yesterday and got tagged by a truck! Lost the whole front end. As this year did not have the inverted forks, can I still put a KX250 fork set on? Busa, let me know what you want for your forks. email me at markb@breakpointconsulting.com

Any suggestions?

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
mbolton said:
Busa, what year is your KDX? I have a '91 that fell off my trailer yesterday and got tagged by a truck! Lost the whole front end. As this year did not have the inverted forks, can I still put a KX250 fork set on? Busa, let me know what you want for your forks. email me at markb@breakpointconsulting.com

Any suggestions?

Bolton I have a pair of 93 KX 250 Forks and clamps that I could sell you for fairly cheap. I bought them from a fellow DRNer and I didn't use them.They were painted blue, so I stripped the paint off, and all they need is to be polished up. The seals are good, but I am not sure about the oil and the parts inside of it. The same thing happened to my bike, but it didn't get clipped my a truck, we just dragged it down the road for 3 miles. Let me know, I could even give you instructions over the internet with the conversion. Email me at Bjammin440@aol.com.

Top Bottom