Nhmxrider7

Mar 6, 2010
Well being a new owner learning routine maitenance comes with mistakes and stupid decisions and thats what happend with me. Yesterday changing my rear brake pads for the first time I got them out but didn't have enough room for the new pads, so with me being stupid and all I decided to hit the brake lever which then pushed it all the way up against the disc. So I was wondering how I should get the piston back into the caliper body.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
push it back in with a c-clamp. Use one of your old brake pads in between the piston and c-clamp to prevent messing up the piston and slowly tighten the clamp.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I've always used a screwdriver and slowly/gently forced the piston back, taking care not to force it in a cockeyed manner.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I use a C clamp and the old pad with the bleeder cracked just a hair. Gets the old fluid out instead of pushing it back in to the system.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if youre stuck like that can you get a c-clamp over the caliper and on the disk and get just enough to get the caliper off? open the bleeder screw and reservoir and you could possibly push caliper in by hand.

Nhmxrider7

Mar 6, 2010
ellandoh said:
if youre stuck like that can you get a c-clamp over the caliper and on the disk and get just enough to get the caliper off? open the bleeder screw and reservoir and you could possibly push caliper in by hand.
? You need to take of the rear wheel to get off the caliper.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
where are you at now with your problem? is the rotor locked in place with the caliper, is the piston fallen completely out of caliper etc etc

put a little more effort into describing your problem, tell us what youve tried already and you will get a lot more help if you havent solved it yet

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

Nhmxrider7

Mar 6, 2010
julien_d said:
push it back in with a c-clamp. Use one of your old brake pads in between the piston and c-clamp to prevent messing up the piston and slowly tighten the clamp.
This is the answer to my problem. I have to take the rear tire off then the caliper and then push down the piston back into the caliper body using a c clamp.

Top Bottom