Skookill

Jul 10, 2007
Hello all,
Ive got a 1970 Yamaha AT1 125 with a front brake problem. Cable and shoe movement seem fine but when I apply the front brake hard, it only seems to have about half the stopping power (wont lock up). The pads look ok. The bike only has 400 miles on it. My question is do pads go bad after sitting 30 some years? The back brake is fine. before I buy replacement pads for the front is there anything else I should check?

Thanks!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Are you able to apply a reasonable force to the brake lever, or does it just go to the handle bars?

If you are able to apply a reasonable force but the shoes just won't grab then I would suspect that the shoes have been glazed over. Could have been from being overheated some time ago, or getting oil impregnated, or it is possible that they just got hard from age.

You can try taking a file/rasp and roughing up the surface of the shoes. If it is just a surface glaze then breaking through it will give you a better friction surface.

Rod

Skookill

Jul 10, 2007
Thanks guys,

I seem to have full cable play. Plenty of space left at full brake. It does seem to be acting like a glaze over situation (good call). I did fully clean everything before with brake cleaner but didn't try roughing up the pads. The wheel liner is clean so its not slipping on rust or anything. The pads and all look brand new. Ill give that a shot then replace the pads if need be. I cant see how they would go bad from age but who knows?

Thanks again,

Skookill

Skookill

Jul 10, 2007
Update...

Well I replaced the pads and gave the brakes a good cleaning. Cable and lever were adjusted ok but Ive still got very little brake on the front. :bang: Any other ideas?

Thanks.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Have you ever ridden anything else with drum brakes?There ain't a whole lot of brake there.I used to race my YZ465 against modern bikes.Pass 'em on the straights just to get outbraked in every corner.Frustrating.I did learn how to turn that way though.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The condition of the drum surface is important. Try sanding it a bit. I don't know if you can get the drum resurfaced at a machine shop or not.

Top Bottom