RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
I have a 2005 RMZ 450 and my friend let me ride his KTM for a lap around the trails today. The bike was awsome and I noticed how much stronger the front brake was. It was so easy to opperate with one finger. Any way it made me realize how bad my front brake is. Will brake shoes improve this or will I need to get oversized rotors?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Could be a couple things I would first check the wear on your pads.
Next it may be time to put in all fresh brake fluid into the system. A couple seasons of old fluid heating up and cooling as well as absorbing moisture will reduce it's ability to work correctly.
Or it just may be KTM has a superior system to the Suzuki (I doubt this and lean to the above 2 reasons)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Could also be a difference in brake line. If his is braided, and yours is a stock nonbraided, that might have an effect.

The nonbraided lines might have a tendency to swell a bit more under pressure than the braided line, making the brakes less efficient.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks Old Guy I will change the fluid and pads. When it was new they were good. They have just gradually gotten worse and I didnt notice until I almost endoed someone elses bike.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
Could also be a difference in brake line. If his is braided, and yours is a stock nonbraided, that might have an effect.

The nonbraided lines might have a tendency to swell a bit more under pressure than the braided line, making the brakes less efficient.
If pads and fluid does not work I wll try a new brake line, thanks.

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
ktm's roll with brembos dont they? I think their superior to nissin.
Also ktm's have wave rotors correct?
change your fluid, pads, add a braided steel brake line, and perhaps upgrade to a wave rotor.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
uh_oh said:
ktm's roll with brembos dont they? I think their superior to nissin.

LOL, I guess you haven't ridden a late model Nissin equipped Honda MX bike.

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It's the pad compounds that create the difference in feel. Just buy some sintered metallic pads or something and your brakes will feel grabby and responsive like the KTM's. Oh, and stay away from EBC ceramic pads because they just suck. I bought them because they have a softer initial grab. I ride in a wide range of conditions, sometimes slippery and muddy so I like the better control. Then, I found out that they don't work at all when they're wet so it doesn't really matter how softly they grab in mud. They are also very inconsistent. Sometimes, they work well with normal lever effort, other times it is hard to get the front wheel to lock up.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You're correct. It was a typo in my original post.

Thanks. :cool: I corrected the original.

Last edited:
Top Bottom