EURWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2002
Braking wave rotor danger possible dangerous situation

I have an '03 CRF450 that I installed the oversized Braking wave rotor on about 2 years ago. Two days ago as I was pulling my bike off the trailer to start practice my front wheel locked as I pushed it towards the bike stand. I think everyone here knows what could have happened if the wheel had locked while on a crowded track!

The problem is with the Braking bracket which relocates the caliper to accommodate the oversize rotor. The bracket has a ridge of aluminum that holds the brake pads in place. My bracket was worn completely through on the side that is opposite the caliper pistons. The piston side was also worn quite badly, but not completely through the aluminum.

Once the aluminum was worn through, the pad fell through the gap created and swung down on the caliper pin. The pad then lodged in a cut-out on the rotor and locked the wheel.

Everyone with a Braking oversize wave rotor installed on his/her bike shold inspect the relocation bracket at once. I do not know if this is a singular incident or not, but let's not be careless; your health is worth it!

I have spoken to Braking about this problem, and will be sending images of the worn bracket to them today. I will try to get the images posted here so you can see what to look for if you have the Braking rotor.

Last edited by a moderator:

EURWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2002
Metal pad retainer

The metal pad retainer was there, but it had virtually disintegrated. I'm working with Braking now to see if they can test the bracket and see if it caused the failure or if there may be another area in which I need to look.

Sorry but I am inept and can not figure out how to attach images. When I click on the "insert image" icon I get a script prompt...what do i do with it?

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
so you dont think the fact that the metal pad retainer was virtually disintegrated from wear that the cause of the wear was because the retaining clip had worn out?

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I belive you would have the same problem with the stock set-up once the metal clip that the pads are supposed to ride against is gone. I've found it usefull to replace these inexpensive little parts once a season or so to keep the brakes working well and prevent wearing out the soft aluminum parts. Glad you weren't hurt:)

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
I had this happen on my rear stock caliper on my 99 KX250! The metal clip wore out and before to long the pad had ate through the aluminum and fell out. I found this out after I spent $40 on two sets of brake pads in one practice day!! It happened after I made a new rotor for my bike(yes I made one). The problem was the rotor kept grooving out in the center and my pads didn't last very long, so I made a new rotor. Well it turns out that after the rotor was smooth again nothing was holding the pad in. The wheel didn't lock up, the pad had just swung down and was bouncing off of the wheel hub. No big problem until you jumped a 80 foot triple and tried to slow down for the upcoming 180 turn. I rewelded the caliper and put that clip back in and haven't had a problem. That piece of stainless does wonders let me tell ya!! I ordered one for the front too!!

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I dont have oversized rotors on any of my bikes but thanks for the heads up anyway. I always appreciate when someone can pass on an experience that they have had that could save someone else a problem or even worse an injury in the future. So thanks again for the info.

flat capper

Jun 25, 2006
im new here but this is a common problem with oversizing your putting more stress on a part that was designed for small discs also as the disc is bigger is runs throught the pads quicker making them vibreate more the only solution we have found is to keep replacing and checking those little stainless shims as was mentioned earlyer, that or fork out for a magura radial caliper kit ($eesh no tah$)

Top Bottom