mcalum

Sep 7, 2007
So my daughters new bike (less than 5hrs on it) is having problems. When cold I pull the choke out and have to kick through about 15 times to even get the engine to respond. After about 20 it will cough to life for about 30 seconds than just dies. I can not get it to idle at all?
Its full of gas, oil and I assume everything else. Any thoughts?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Have you tried starting it without pulling the choke?

When you have managed to get it to fire, it dies right away? Can you keep it running by revving it up a bit?

How did the bike run the last time it was used? How long has it sat since it ran (properly) last?

My guess is that the idle circuit in the carburetor has been fouled. This can happen when a motor sits for an extended period and the gas in the carburetor evaporates away leaving a concentrated "goo" in the float bowl. It can be especially bad if you left the gas turned on as the entire tank can distill down into a really nasty goo. This can be a major problem on a two stroke because the oil doesn't evaporate like the gas does so you end up with a very thick oily goo.

If the bike has sat for a couple of months then you might want to try taking the carburetor apart and cleaning it out as much as possible. If you have comressed air blow some through all the passages. If you have carburetor cleaner and can get a rebuild kit then I would recommend a proper soak in the solvent.

Or, since it is new you can take it back to the dealer.....

Rod

mcalum

Sep 7, 2007
Thanks. Once it starts it dies as soon as I touch the throttle. If I play for a few minutes I can get it to idle for about 90 secs than die.
It ran fine the last time we rode, then it sat for about 1 month. Also, its a 4-stroke not sure if that matters.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
My wifes had the same issue. The plug had fouled. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a 2 dollar plug, then leaned the pilot screw a half turn. It hasn't happened since. Oh yeah, make sure you drain the carb before storing it for more than a day or two.

mcalum

Sep 7, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions. Isn't that screw to make it easier to drain the carb? Also, I took the carb off and cleaned it (it was harder to get off than expected). After cleaning it (there was a few specks of gunk) it started right up and idled fine. Then after a while it stalled out and is now doing the same thing?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
sounds like you might have some bad gas with some goobs in the tank. Might not be a bad idear to put a fuel filter on it.

lin842

Aug 20, 2007
The ttr 125 comes from the factory jetted so lean that they will hardly run. I can't remember what the stock jetting on them is but you will have to go up 1 on the pilot and main to get it to run. I will check my notes ...if I can find them and let you know what I ended up with and post back. Or you couldjust check in the manule and go up 1 size and you should be ok. Another thing, once you get it running buy a frame cradle if you plan to ride it at all or you will berak your motor mounts.

Top Bottom