brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
01 RM250 ....yes i've read they have poor clutches.

Plates not worn out- looked at basket not notched yet.

Will Kawasaki plates or other brand of carbon /kevlar be any good.

Clutch action is HORRIBLE. Grags ,snags ,bucks you name it.

What benefit do carbon fiber or kevlar plates offer and are any of them any good. Intended use is MX. I have read in E.Gorr's book to use Kawi plates ...is this still the best fix with the new materials out there?

BTW ....later I plan to add a Stormin Norman basket w/ steel covered fingers ( like the new barnett basket).Is this a good idea?

Rich .....It is my turn to say it now......Your input is a boon to the sport and all of us seeking to know more! Thanks !

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by brentl
Rich .....It is my turn to say it now......Your input is a boon to the sport and all of us seeking to know more! Thanks !

Thanks. While I appreciate the thought, the reality is, DRN works because thousands of people are willing to share their experiences and resources to help each other. :thumb:

If you learn something here and share it with someone else then the cycle can continue indefinitely, which to me seems like a great thing.

As for your clutch, it's a Suzuki so you are fighting an uphill battle. A Hinson basket or the Stormin Norman upgrade will go a long way towards improving things.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I had really inconsistent luck with the Barnett plates. I've seen a number of cases where the plates thickness is greater than OEM maximum, so the stack height is too great and the clutch won't disengage. On Yamahas and Hondas I have always ended up back at the OEM counter. I haven't owned enough Suzukis to have gathered useful info specific to plate material.

x2fast

Oct 1, 2003
You may want to take a look at the Moose products. They offer a billet clutch basket and heavy duty clutch componets...springs, steel plates, and friction plates.
Moose is built for the high heat conditions of woods racing and they work closely with DP in creating the perfect materials for all applications.

PowerJoe

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2003
I install a set of steel and fiber plates in my 2002 CR 250 and they seem to work well. They are the White Brothers brand, but made by DP Brakes.

One down side is that they were too thick and I had to johnny rig my clutch cable and perch to get them to work. Too much stack up caused too much slack in the cable.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I have to agree with Rich. For Yamahas and Hondas stock is best.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
A couple of local racers I know dump their stock baskets for Vortex ones as soon as they pick up their new RM's every year. Of course they are sponsored by Vortex so that may be a factor :)

Top Bottom