The_Stampede

Sep 4, 2002
Alright, Right now, I got a whole new top end. New cylinder, new piston and rings.

Im going out to the track tommorow, but today i started it up, just let it idle while occasionaly twisting the throttle for about five minutes. Waited till it was cool to the touch, then did it again, waited, then did it again. Basically, three times letting it just warm up for five minutes in the garage.

Now, what should i do at the track tommorow? or something i should do today(if there's a response soon enough)?

Thanks in advance.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
id do another heat cycle or two. At the track just ride under 1/2 throttle for a tank. Next stay under 3/4 for a tank then u should be good to go.

hrc125rider

Aug 22, 2003
well this is what my local bike shop told me to do : basically ride full out for ten minutes then let it cool down where u can touch it then repeat that method 4 to 5 times.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
I am not sure as though i would take the last guys advice, i normally start the bike up until it gets warm then shut it off and cool COMPLETELY, do that 3 times, then warm it up and take it for a short ride not going over 1/3 throttle, stop then let cool completely, do that 3 times, then take it on short rides letting cool completely between rides and not going over 1/2 throttle until the tank is emplty then it should be good to go. that is what i do and i have had a motor survive 8 years!

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
i go by the manual, run the gas richer, for mine its about 15:1, run that for about 5 to 10 minutes. drain out that gas, put in some 30:1, run that around for 10 minutes, let it cool down, then again, and again. the book said that is all you need to do but i still think when you get to the track you should run it around 1/2 to 3/4 for a tank, then you should be good to go.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I think three heat cycles is sufficient.

If I were to go through two tanks of gas before riding it hard....I think I'd already be half way to a new set of rings according to Honda's schedule.

Top Bottom