breakin ring replacement who did it duing break in

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I want to know who actually did this part of the break in period. I just bought a new 03 kdx220r and found it hard to believe what the break in process was. I don't see the point of it, you are careful going through the break in period then you have to replace part of the top in and go through another break in for that, I don't see the point. But I just want to know who actually did this part, who replaced the rings and check out the ports, caompared to those that did not!

Thanks

Bryan

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I'm sure many folks will jump in here and bash my reply (perhaps rightfully so). I too was shocked to read that when I got home with my 03 200. I am good mechanically, and have a long past with high performance 2-stroke watercraft. I can not imagine how the KDX can kick up these shape burrs in the ports that need to be removed, since this situation never occurs in the break-in of any of the many two-stroke engines I've owned. I am very meticulous and anal with all my equipment, but this just seemed too far for me. I asked my dealer, (I take care of all my own stuff, but this particular shop is fantastic) and they laughed when I brought up the tear down. I put mine through the recomended heat cycles, changed the fluid, then rode. Just my (unqualified) opinion.

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
thanks keep for your thoughts, are there any others, any horror stories? I just got the thing Saturday and rode 22 miles on sunday. I agree with this being alittle over kill and don't see how these burs can come about.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Yep, I did re-ring my topend for the break-in. I didn't see anything wrong (some minor scratches on the piston and in the cylinder which I cleaned up). I don't think that I really helped anything other than giving my local dealership another donation when I bought the rings. :-) One good thing that came out of it was that I found a hairline crack in my right case half at the rear stud so I had it replaced under warranty.

Best,
Greg

Feint Drift

Oct 27, 2003
that was pretty lucky if you ask me catching that problem and getting that under warrenty, would have sucks later on , if that had been over looked. Sounds like there are other advantages to popping open the top end, I just can't believe how "brittle" things seem, I mean unless during the break in period, the steps were done incorrectly. Then I could understand having cracks and internals screwed up but I figured this motor would be more durable than what I am hearing, especially having to rework the topend right after a break in period :(?!?!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by Feint Drift
that was pretty lucky if you ask me catching that problem and getting that under warrenty, would have sucks later on , if that had been over looked. Sounds like there are other advantages to popping open the top end, I just can't believe how "brittle" things seem, I mean unless during the break in period, the steps were done incorrectly. Then I could understand having cracks and internals screwed up but I figured this motor would be more durable than what I am hearing, especially having to rework the topend right after a break in period :(?!?!

I just lucked out and found the hairline and was unlucky enough to have a bad casting. I don't think it's representative of the KDXs or most modern bikes. That is also the only problem I've had with it and the only issue I'm aware of. I'm figuring that either the engine builder over-torqued the stud or maybe there was a weak sport or a sharp edge right there in that casting. This model has been around for 7 years so I figure that most of the bugs have been worked out but there still is the occasional defect.

Two times I'm most careful are when I'm riding someone's bike or during breakin of a new bike. It really was a minor crack and I figured that I bought a brand new bike and I wanted it to be as close to perfect as possible. If your bike is running fine, you may just want to forego the topend but change the oil twice to get rid of any other metal that may have worn off during the breakin process.

Best,
Greg

Top Bottom