Motox125

Jun 15, 2002
Hello everyone, I am having a chronic problem with clutch plates breaking. The bike is a 2000 YZ125. In the past couple months, this bike has ruined 3 sets of clutch plates. The first set was EBC plates, the expensive racing ones, with the extra plate in it. I put those in the stock basket, and within a couple weeks I had a plate break, and of course, get ground up in the transmission. That made a mess, and after cleaning it out, I installed a new Hinson basket, along with a new stock hub and pressure plate and Barnett clutch plates. Once again, a couple weeks later, I had a plate break and get ground up. A week after that I had a waterpump seal go, so I dissassembled the tranny and cleaned all that gunk and metal out of there. I put the stock plates in the hinson basket (they were still within spec) and swore to myself I would go with stock clutches from now on. Well, this week I took apart the clutch, and once again, we have a broken plate. This one seems to have just broken, there is one big piece, about 5/6ths of the plate, one small broken piece, and one piece that got ground up, and is of course scattered across the bottom end. Whats going on here? I'm getting tired of cleaning metal out of the bottom end, and eventually some of it is going to ruin a bearing or something. The first set of plates, I assumed it was a worn basket, the second set I assumed was because of the quality of the barnett plates, but three sets in a row is just excessive. I cant figure out why they keep breaking on me, anyone have any ideas? Im trying to sell this bike sometime soon, so this problem needs to be fixed, what do I do?

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Stress, heat, warped parts break clutches. I have never had any luck w/ aftermarket clutches, ever. Go through the whole basket, flush it all out. Make sure no grooves are in the basket, install a stock OEM clutch w/ new springs, a good quality oil. When you put in the steel or aluminums, put them all in w/ the grooved side facing up. There is a lip on the plate from where it was cut, this should be facing away from the engine. Make sure cables are good and lubed, make sure it engages and disengages, sell it before you break it again!!!! J/K, you should be good to go after all that, but it sounds like you have had a real bad spell of luck w/ that clutch, I hope it gets better for ya-

Motox125

Jun 15, 2002
Which clutch bearing? The bearing that goes from the tranny to the clutch was replaced, but the one that the basket goes on, and the one on the actuating arm are old. I will look into those, thanks!

frankrock363

Sponsoring Member
Jan 21, 2004
Sounds like your on he right track.But the one thing you have to check is yourself.Sometimes you can wander into the wourld of extreme clutch abuse and not even no it is happening.Try to pay attention to how much you are using it.I went through about 5 clutches in about 2 months.And that included buying a new bike!I took the time and made sure I relearned what I was doing with my left hand.I could not afford to ride that way anymore.I know guys who keep a spare set of plates in there truck.You do not whant to be one of them.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom