_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
hey, im picking up my 04RM250 tomorrow.. i want to break it in so i can practice before this weekends race.. anyone have any tips or suggestions, ie oil type/intervals/what to check after riding/etc

it's a brand new 04RM250 - i broke in my 01RM125 and everything has worked perfect, but i never knew exactly what i was supposed to do and want to make sure i do it right with this bike

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
sorry, i keep thinking of questions after i post them :( for the very first time i kick it over and it starts, do i just let it idle until the rad gets hot? it kind of scares me now that i will screw something up.. with my 125 i just did whatever, kept the revs below 1/2 for the first couple of times.. now im weary and cant afford to make a mistake :D

(if the bike doesnt idle because its not adjusted yet, should i just keep the throttle steady at 1/8 or 1/4? or blip it? if it loads up a lot is it okay to open it more and clean it up a bit?)

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Whenever I put in a new piston I start it up and keep it at about 0-1/8 thottle, being very gentle. I let it warm up and then kill it, then let it sit for about 30 minutes or until it cools down, then I do the same thing warming it up. Then I let it sit for 30 minutes or until cool, then I ride it around keeping it at less than 1/8 and low rpms until it warms up again, then I let it cool. Then I ride it around at less than 1/2 throttle and still low rpms until warm, then kill and cool. Then ride it for awhile letting throttle go to maybe full but not keeping it at full for more than a few seconds. Then I let it cool, then I ride it like normal. I usually go through maybe 2 plugs doing all this, but u could just clean them up if they get fouled, then put a new one in when the bike is gonna be rode normal. My method might be alittle longer than other, or maybe shorter. You mainly just want to get it through a couple gentle heat cycles so that the piston and rings can get seated well. Good luck with the new bike, have fun.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i'd get a magnetic oil drain plug for it before even starting it, and do the warm up, cool down thing,,,i think its all in the manual on how to do it. id' keep it at half throttle or less for the first tank of fuel. always let it warm up before riding even after break in so piston wont expand faster than the cylinder.change oil immediatly after break in. some people say add extra premix oil, some say dont.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
thanks.. ive been told not to use synthetic oil during break in because of it's ability to perfectly oil the cylinder and not let the rings edge "wear" and seat - is this true?

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
not sure if the 250 is a 2 stroke... but it was very hard if not impossible to find a non synth pre-mix oil. As for synthetic in the crank case.. wont that cause clitch slipage? what i did to break in my 125 was i warmed it up, rode it around lightly for awhile (5-10 minutes) then i took it to the flat dry lake bed and let it rip. (not abrupt changes in rpm). I believe reving the engine at higher rpm's helps the piston and walls scuff and settle in. I've read it somewhere also but cant remember the website. Dont forget to change your oil and clean your filter after the first ride.

Top Bottom