XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
starting about 2330 on 5/19, there were shots fired here in Moscow, ID. As of now, one officer dead, one officer in surgery, and one civilian stable after surgery. EMS has been on standby for the last 5 hours. SWAT teams are planning on moving in soon (just now turning daylight).

on CNN right now

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Wow, stay safe and fill us in after.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Damn Pred, that sucks.

Glad the shooter saved us the expense of a "fair" trial.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thanks for the links. Reporters have no spontaneous consumption of information received. One reported asked if they had information on where the shooter worked or where he got his weapon, this was after the spokesman stated, "we do not know the identities of the two deceased in the building at this time".
I hope life returns to normal for you folks but I'm sure the left leaning government types will try to force you to give up your guns.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
It does amaze me some of the questions asked. Poor Asst. Chief Duke. He's trying to keep the reporters up to date, basically telling the people that "the dangerous part is over", but they seem to think that the entire investigation is wrapped up.

this stuff takes time, silly reporter type people.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Scary stuff Pred. :yikes:

I guess if it can happen in your lil' burg, it can happen anywhere. :|

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
GETMETOCA said:
Holy Crap Pred! Did you have to get involved with any of the injured?
nay, m'lady. My delicate flower headed down to Station 1 for standby and took an unrelated injury to Pullman (8 miles west). I did get regular updates from her all morning,though.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Officer Lee Newbill, a 6 year veteran of the Moscow PD, succumbed to his wounds.

He is the first MPD officer to die in the line of duty.

Godspeed.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
XRpredator said:
Officer Lee Newbill, a 6 year veteran of the Moscow PD, succumbed to his wounds.

He is the first MPD officer to die in the line of duty.

Godspeed.

Godspeed indeed. He and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I thought of you when I saw the headines, Pred. Glad you are okay but I'm sorry that others had to lose their lives. :|

When will the world learn...???

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
little more info . . . unconfirmed, but pretty reliable

Sheriff's deputy Brannon Jordan is in serious condition, but stable after surgery.

The shooter was allegedly up for a felony conviction for spousal abuse, and when the sheriff found out his name, he sent someone to his wife's residence. There they found the shooter's wife, beaten to death. :|

also, the second body in the church was church sexton Paul Bauer, who'd recently turned his life around.

Mind you, some of this is unconfirmed but we'll probably hear about it at the next press conference (tomorrow morning at 11 am PDT)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Whoa.

I saw a bit on CNN about an Idaho sniper this morning, but I wasn't paying attention.

Scary stuff.

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Yeah, this is definitely some scary stuff!

I am currently attending school at Washington State, Pullman, which for those of you not familiar to the area, is about 9 miles due West of Moscow, ID.

It was enough to have the VT shootings happen farily recently. This effectvely put everyone on their toes for a good three weeks, considereing that we had finals week less than 7 days away. My folks were freaking out because I myself, an aspiring mechanical engineer, spend tons of time in our engineering building here on campus.

To have an act of violence such as this in close proximity, and in such a small town is nuts!? I heard today on the radio that the police department lost their first officer in 118 years of service. My condolences go out to their family...

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Pred I am very glad that you and your family are okay. My condolences go out to the families of those that lost their lives.

Tis a scary, scary world we live in. :|

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Couple more things:
From the Spokesman Review -

Shooter had Aryan Nations ties
Taryn Brodwater, Bill Morlin and Amy Cannata
Staff writers
May 23, 2007

Jason Kenneth Hamilton, the man responsible for the deadly shooting spree in Moscow, Idaho, was a card-carrying Aryan Nations member licensed by the federal government to possess fully automatic weapons, including a military-style machine gun, sources confirmed Tuesday.

"How he got one, I have no idea," Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch said Tuesday of Hamilton's license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Rausch confirmed that Hamilton also had a concealed weapons permit in Latah County, despite a domestic violence conviction that should have barred him from owning guns.

The 36-year-old janitor moved to North Idaho from the Boise area in 1998 or 1999, and shortly thereafter became a member of the Aryan Nations, which was based in Hayden.

About that same time, Hamilton was arrested in Latah County for shooting at a building or a car, but the charge was reduced through a plea bargain, incomplete court records show.

Hamilton committed suicide in a Presbyterian church after killing his wife, a police officer and a church sexton and wounding three other men Saturday night and early Sunday morning.

Law enforcement authorities confirmed Tuesday that Hamilton was a member of the Aryan Nations.

"He never really hit on our radar," one source said of Hamilton's involvement with the white supremacy group that was closely monitored during the quarter-century it was headquartered in North Idaho.

"We don't think he's been particularly active, but he's been a dues-paying member since 2000," said the source, who asked not to be identified.

Hamilton's ties to the Aryan Nations were found when FBI agents and Latah County sheriff's deputies searched his home in Moscow, sources told The Spokesman-Review.

Authorities found an Aryan Nations membership card and an Aryan Nations flag that belonged to Hamilton in his house on Juliene Way on the outskirts of Moscow, the sources said.

Investigators believe the Aryan Nations material belonged to Hamilton and not his wife, who was found dead in the home. A single round from a .308 rifle - the same caliber as the M-1 military-type rifle Hamilton was carrying - was responsible for the woman's death, a source said.

Hamilton has been a dues-paying member of the Aryan Nations since four years before the death of Aryan Nations founder Richard Butler at his Hayden home.

The Aryan Nations headquarters was moved to Alabama following Butler's death, and white supremacy activities, including an annual parade in Coeur d'Alene, largely subsided in North Idaho.

Hamilton had an extensive criminal history in Idaho, Arizona, California and Oklahoma, including arrests for violent crimes, domestic battery and drugs, according to court records obtained Tuesday by The Spokesman-Review.

Court records indicate the high school dropout, who received a GED from the University of Idaho about seven years ago, was first arrested in California for a domestic violence charge soon after his 21st birthday.

Hamilton's first contact with Latah County authorities was in 1999, when he was charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm at a building or vehicle and two misdemeanor counts of disturbing the peace. An arrest report was not immediately available Tuesday, and Rausch said he was not familiar with the case. The court file no longer existed, a clerk said, but court records show he was placed on unsupervised probation for two years.

He was arrested in September 2005 for attempted strangulation of his on-again, off-again girlfriend. A jury convicted Hamilton of a reduced charge of misdemeanor domestic battery in June 2006.

As he was awaiting trial, he was arrested for allegedly grabbing another woman by the hands and throwing her to the floor, injuring her. The case was dismissed.

Prior to moving to Latah County, Hamilton was charged with felony aggravated assault in 1992 in Lake Havasu, Ariz., and placed on probation. He was charged a few months later with possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license; both charges were dismissed.

Hamilton was arrested in 1995 by the Tulsa, Okla., city police on a cruelty to animals charge that was reduced to malicious injury. He was sentenced to a year in jail, but the sentence was suspended.

In 1996, he was arrested by the Boise Police Department for marijuana possession and failure to have current insurance. He pleaded guilty and was ordered to pay $251.50 in court costs and fines and complete 16 hours of drug treatment. Hamilton, who was living in Kuna, Idaho, paid his fines in two monthly payments while working for a Meridian pizza parlor.

A new life for Crystal

It's unclear when Hamilton married Crystal Dawn Jones. Together, they moved from the Kuna area to Latah County.

Crystal Hamilton recently had launched a new chapter in her life. Just weeks before her murder, she started a part-time job assisting with fiscal record-keeping at the Washington State University Edward R. Murrow School of Communication - even as she continued her custodial job at the Latah County Courthouse.

"She was trying to build a promising future for herself by building office skills and creating abilities that would give her more options in life," said Erica Austin, the school's interim director.

Austin said Hamilton made a big impact in her short time working at the school.

"When she was in the office working with me she was really focused on the work. She was cheerful and dedicated," Austin said.

Hamilton had several pets, including a dog, cat, birds and fresh- and saltwater fish. All have been taken on by a friend and co-worker at the communication school. Employees there are taking up a collection to help pay for the animals' upkeep and have opened an account at the Washington State Employees Credit Union for the purpose.

The school is offering counseling to any of its students or employees who might need help dealing with the shooting and its aftermath.

Austin said she and others at the office didn't realize Hamilton was having problems with her husband.

"It's heartbreaking to think that there might have been something we could have done had we known," she said.

The Latah County Courthouse, the initial building targeted during the weekend shooting rampage, reopened for business Tuesday morning. Bullet holes scar the outer brick walls, windows and walls inside the building.

Many of the employees who returned to work Tuesday had red-rimmed eyes, Rausch said.

"It takes a while for the emotional baggage to go away," he said.

The sheriff said the staff first returned to the building Monday evening. As the temperature outside dropped, glass in one of the damaged windows fell out and crashed to the ground.

"Two dispatchers hit the floor, screaming," Rausch said. "Another ran off. It sounded like incoming again."

Looking for patterns

Extremist shootings tend to fall into one of two categories - suspects who target individuals because of their ethnicity or religion, and those who want to make an anti-government statement, said Mark Pitcavage, director of investigative research for the Anti-Defamation League.

Former Aryan Nations security guard Buford Furrow, who went on a shooting spree in Los Angeles in 1999, was an example of a gunman who targeted specific victims, Pitcavage said.

Furrow was arrested for killing an Asian postal carrier and firing an assault rifle in a Jewish day care center in Los Angeles.

Police officers and government buildings frequently are targets of those driven by an anti-government agenda.

Pitcavage cited the case of Carl Drega, a New Hampshire extremist who became upset about a zoning issue and killed two state troopers, a judge and a newspaper editor before dying in a shootout with police in Vermont.

The Latah County Courthouse and police dispatch center in Moscow were the targets of some of Hamilton's bullets, but Pitcavage said he didn't know enough to speculate if an anti-government agenda motivated the shooter.

"I don't have all the details on the incident," he said. "When the news first came out, I was thinking that was a possible.

"But killing his wife first doesn't really fit into this pattern," he said.

"It might not have anything to do with an anti-government ideology, and might have to do more with his personal situation,'' Pitcavage said.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
and:
SPECIAL EDITION
May 23, 2007

Dear Students, Employees and Friends of the University of Idaho and the City of Moscow,

Late last Saturday night, a lone gunman with a criminal and psychiatric record fired upon Moscow buildings and the police officers and citizens who tried to respond - including one of our students, who came out of his off-campus residence to help. The gunman killed himself at the end of the rampage, but not before taking three others permanently from us, and badly wounding still others. And so our community has been violated in a tragic and very personal way, and the violation is compounded by the fact that the crime played out not only on downtown and residential streets not far from campus, but within the sanctuary of a church.

As the glare of the news media shines on Moscow, we note with sadness the harsh reality that today grips all communities large and small, urban and rural, business, academic and residential: we are not always safe, and we cannot always trust those around us. Yet we must summon the will not to waiver in our commitment to having a safe and secure community in which to live, learn, discover, work and prosper. Indeed, Moscow is a wonderful, welcoming and proud community. There is remarkable resolve, collectively and individually, to reclaim our town from this and other recent, aberrant, yet very real events.

We mourn the loss of University of Idaho alumnus, former University Night Watch security supervisor and Moscow Police sergeant, Lee Newbill '82 - the first Moscow police officer to lose his life in the line of duty. Lee was well known and highly regarded by many students, faculty and staff. Official services are set for this Friday May 25th at 1:00 p.m. in the Kibbie Dome, which we have offered to our community for the afternoon. We also have opened our food service and residence halls - relatively unutilized during summer session - for the complimentary use of the law enforcement community as they gather. And the University, along with many others in the community, is providing counseling services to help the grieving process of those most deeply affected.

We express heartfelt sympathy and support for Lee's wife Becky, who also is a member of the University of Idaho alumni family, and to Lee's three adult children, parents, brother, three sisters, colleagues and friends. Our thoughts and prayers go as well to those who knew and loved two other Moscow citizens who were killed - Crystal Hamilton and Paul Bauer - and to Officer Bill Shields, Deputy Sheriff Brannon Jordan and University of Idaho senior Peter Husmann, who are recovering from wounds received.

I commend our multi-agency law enforcement community, city leadership, Emergency Medical Services professionals, and physicians and staff at Gritman Medical Center who provided vital services throughout the unfolding and aftermath of this tragic event.

A few final thoughts for us to consider as we move forward together from difficult times:

First, let us retain perspective through knowledge of facts. One hard fact of both recent cases in Moscow, and the one in Blacksburg, Virginia, is that whenever and wherever mental illness combines with lethal weapons, we all live at heightened risk. Alcohol also may have helped fuel the violence last weekend. However, another fact is that historically there is a very low incidence of violent crime within our community, which supports the assertion of city, University and law enforcement officials - still strongly held today - that violence of this nature is indeed an anomaly in Moscow.

Second, it is critically important that we retain our mutual bond as good, forthright and resilient, yet sadly sometimes fragile and imperfect, humans. We are caring people, living in a very special and close-knit community - one in which we look out for and support each other in good times and bad. I know that we will continue to do just that. I see it happening already, in our outreach to those directly and indirectly affected by this week's news, in Moscow and beyond.

My closing thought today is a recognition of the many blessings we enjoy. Our world today is baffling, frightening, complex, maddening, bewildering, and many corners of it are faced with horrific strife and turmoil. It also can be an intriguing, welcoming, supportive, loving and kind world that offers opportunities, sustenance and challenges. Strong communities in general, and universities in particular, provide beacons of hope for a safe, secure and prosperous, non-violent world. We must remain firm in this hope and aspiration.

Tim White
President

Top Bottom