NiftyNic

Apr 1, 2002
Has anyone had a problem with spokes breaking on 02 520's? I went on a 70 mile ride today in order to get ready for a desert race this weekend and broke two front spokes on the ride, bringing the total to 6 fronts, 1 rear. The bike has 650 miles on it and the problem started at about 300 miles. I tightend the spokes for the first time at the 150 mile mark. I owned a 99 300 E before this bike and never broke one spoke in the 2+ years it was around. I have tightend hundreds of spokes and even laced wheels as I was at one time a mechanic at a Honda dealership so this is not something that is new to me. I even tried to loosen them a bit thinking maybe had over tightened them but it did not make a difference. When I went to the local dealer to purchase some replacements I noticed that a new 02 520 M had different spokes that were not chromed and possibly had a larger diameter than the spokes in my bike. The dealer told me that maybe KTM was aware of a problem and made a change mid-year but he was not aware of any recalls or bulletins regarding the problem. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for your help !!!

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
KTM does know of the problem and has sent out a bulletin regarding it. Have your dealer show it to you. I received it at my dealership in the last couple of weeks. TB0240

NiftyNic

Apr 1, 2002
I got a copy of that tech (bull)etin from my dealer, it says to use a spoke torque wrench, what a joke. 99% of people tighten their spokes without one, I had a 01 YZ 250 with aluminum nipples and never had a problem with overtight spokes on that bike. all it does is cover up the fact that these spokes are faulty or KTM would not have changed them mid-year to a lager diameter non-cromed version. I know people have been also having problems with the KTM mini wheels. Didn't Grant Langston lose a National championship because his rear wheel came apart, that spoke torque wrench sure came in handy for him. So now I have to buy a set of aftermarket spokes for a Motorcycle that cost $7500 because on the tech (bull)etin it states not a warranty item. Lets just say I'm not a happy about this. Anybody have the number to KTM customer service handy ?

Last edited:

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I have broken several fronts and several more rears. For the life of me I can't figure out why. On my Honda's I never, ever, ever broke A spoke. And I tighten the KTM the same way. I carry extras to the track. Not a big deal, but a bit of a pain on a $6748 bike. (BTW mine's for sale for $5,099 on the for sale forum). :D

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
Dam I just had to go look at mine I have one of the first 2000 520 exc. in the states. It has gold nipples that take a 7mm wrench. I have never broken a spoke yet, even wile racing on flats.

200 lbs. and race open x

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
Customer service number (440)985-3553. I just measured both chromed and unchromed spokes and they both measure 3.6mm spoke diameter's. btw, Langston's bike had Talon spokes/nipples and Fonseca's footpeg off the start.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by dstktmusa
Langston's bike had Talon spokes/nipples and Fonseca's footpeg off the start.

NOW it all makes sense. Thanks for that info dstktmusa. I was wondering how something like that could've happened. Having some ripped loose on the start would sure explain it!

NiftyNic

Apr 1, 2002
Thanks for all your posts everyone. I was just pissed off yesterday and kinda blew a cranium gasket. I am getting ready for a 95 mile Hare&Hound and do not want to have my wheel come apart on loop 3. I re-checked the spoke tension and zip tied them where they cross (old school) so hopefuly this will help me get to the finish line. Only problem is it will be in the back of my mind the whole race. Since dstktmusa measured the spokes and they are the same size (they sure look bigger in a side to side comparison, must be an optical Illusion), I don't think I will even call KTM because I don't see any way they can help me with this problem since my dealer told me the non-cromed version of these spokes are breaking too. Must be a highspeed desert thing going on here. On monday I am going to have my dealer order some buchanan HD spokes which is what some of the local fast guys have done to remedy the problem. My dealer is going to give me a break on the price to help me out. Just stinks that a motorcycle that cost $7500 has to have this done to make it right. btw dstktmusa, thanks for that customer service number. I will keep it on file for future use if needed. Thanks again everyone and keep the rubber side down!!!

Top Bottom