tpbeebejr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 21, 2013
I am reassembling my bike after a thorough cleaning. This bike has a primary carb and a secondary carb that kicks in above half-throttle. On the top of each carb is a black plastic cover with a paper gasket. These cover the jet needle and plunger mechanism. One of the caps is closed and the other has a short, one-quarter-inch diameter hose barb sticking straight up. I can't tell from any of the photos or instructions in my Clymer manual, nor in any of my photos which carb gets the cap with the breather barb. Does anyone know, and does anyone know if this is important?
Thanks,
Tom (tpbeebejr)

BrentRichter

Spammer
May 8, 2013
You could take some snapshots, post them here and than we can a have a look over them. The cap is closed which makes it a bit of issue over here. Maybe you can show it some expert or you can visualize the situation out here itself.

tpbeebejr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 21, 2013
Trial and error: 50% chance

Brent:
I ended up switching the cap with the breather tube from the secondary carb to the main carb and it worked! Thanks for the help.
Tom (tpbeebejr)

tpbeebejr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 21, 2013
Not so fast! I may have jumped the gun

Well, when I reported that "it worked" after switching the breather cap with the closed cap, I simply started the bike and revved it a little, but I never took it out.

After finishing up several other things, I finally took it out. It runs better than ever below half-throttle. Amazing pull. But when I get above half-throttle it sort of dies out like the fuel-to-are mixture is way wrong. I didn't try it too much this way because I didn't want to foul or burn the plug.

As you know, the secondary carb is supposed to kick in above half-throttle, exactly where the problem is happening. I checked all of the linkages and action of the butterfly flapper and needle/plunger, and it seems to be working correctly. But since I didn't study this in detail before my carb tear-down and cleaning, I am not sure if what seems to me to be correct is actually correct.

I can try certain things and take photos that you experts suggest if you will be kind enough to help me troubleshoot this.

Let me start with a question. How does the fuel get over to the secondary carb? In the attached diagram it shows two connecting tubes from the primary carb to the secondary carb which I have circled in red. In reality there is only a place for one (the lower one) connecting tube to hook into each carb. There is either a mistake in the diagram, or the diagram is a generic one for the several models that this exploded view covers. I am concerned that perhaps my secondary carb is not getting fuel.

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• Carb Parts Diagram-b.jpg
    Carb Parts Diagram-b.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 318
Top Bottom