Brining my dads 74 DT360 back to life after many years, what years and models share..

Dec 24, 2006
New member here with a few questions. I went yesterday to my dads mothers and brought his 1974 Yamaha DT360 back with me for a winter project. The bike has sat since he broke his ankle riding with me back in 95! I was wondering what year's and models gas tanks will fit the 74 360. We had to Kreem the tank back in the late 80s from sitting and now its not worth wasting time on, its a total mess inside, too bad because the out side looks good with no dents and clean green paint. Anyway if any one can point me in the right direction for a carb kit, a gas tank and if it would be safe to run Mobil 1 10e30 oil in the trans as thats what my Haynes manual says it calls for, if not Ill have to pick up some motorcycle specific oil before I can try to start the pig! Its really in decent shape considering what it has been through over the last 20 years, but with just over 4,000 original miles it should run like a top. I drained the auto lube tank and flushed it with full synthetic Mobil 2 stroke and primed the autolube pump, I may premix a quart of fuel and run it through a remote tank just to make sure its pumping oil, but I really need to track down a gas tank. I found one from a dt250 that should fit but I also came across a few plastic tanks from an MX, what is the major difference between the DT and the MX? I plan on riding this bike on some pretty rough trails again with my dad, although he will be on his Polaris 4x4! Sorry for the long post! Matt :ride:

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Plastic tanks from an MX? Hmmm... the MX tanks were aluminum back then. Thru '75 anyway. In any case, I think the '74 DT would share more body parts with the RTs and such of that year and earlier.

DT vs MX? I only know how they stacked up in '75. Everything in the motors is interchangeable between the '75 MX400 and the '75 DT400 although the MX had tighter gearing and racier porting. MX250 and DT 250, the same. THe MX in 75 had the steel tube swing armed mono shock and the DT in 75 still had twin shocks.

I know that the 74 DT360 was a little different motor wise than the 75/76 models. (Chain driven pirmary, etc) but, Id bet that the 74 DT is Probably similar to the 74 MX or even YZ motors, but those are pretty damned rare! Body parts? yeah, Id venture that a 74 MX tank would work, but again, that gets pricey.

So, in any case, not much will cross from the 74 DT to the 75/76 or later models. For spares, 74 and somewhat earlier would be better.

I dunno. My direct experience has been with the 75/6 generation of these things.

Try EvilBAY or http://www.bikeboneyard.com
they may have some stuff.

If you wanna go with a plastic tank, there were alot of aftermarket ones back then from Windsor and such. Those center mouted units worked pretty good, I run one on one of my Kaws. Might check Clarke also. They may make a "universal fit" vintage tank or something,.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I agree with '74 and earlier, '75 and forward were 400
s. The 360 dates to '70(?) and I think it had a black tank. I rode my first enduro in '75 on a '74 360(green tank). Evilbay will be the easiest and probalby the most $$ though. I still have my '76 400 and a '75 400mx.
I would take the tank to a radiator shop and talk with them BEFORE buying a new tank, they may be able to clean it for you and then you can retreat it.

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
I have a 1977 DT250 and it runs like a champ. My uncle gave it to me and it had been sitting for a long time. Just had to clean the rodent's nest out of the intake, put new rings in it for good measure, and rebuild/painted the chassis. The gas tank has (had) a big dent. We cut out the top and are going to customize it by addding to the top so it doesnt have that flat look. I always felt as if i would slide forward on that seat. Well if you plan on riding that DT regularly, you may need to address the suspension also. Its a huge part of the ride. :ride:

Yz250JdT250

Apr 26, 2004
Oh yeah, be sure to take the front and rear axles out asap and assess the bearings and then grease them up real good. On all of my dirtbikes the rear axle has been stuck in there the first time i go to take it out. It's becuase all of the rust and corrosion that makes it almost like the bolt is welded to the collar/bearings. If it was sitting outdoors for a long time then you should check the whole entire intake before you go to fire it up. I didnt on my DT250 and there was a nest in it as i said in my last post. An acorn got stuck in the reeds that made it rev sky high!

Top Bottom