Danny Stein

Nov 12, 2002
Okay KDX Gods last month I broke my first Front Brake Lever and the directions from here were right on point took me 5-10 minutes to change. This past weekend was around 70 degress and could'nt pass the day up to go riding. Well on the last mile of a 40 mile trail ride I got a little carried away and ended up dropping the bike and snapped just the clutch perch. Clutch lever is actually attached to the handguard and working properly just not attached to the bars. Is there anybody that can walk me through this process of changing the perch only. Just to on the safe side I ordered a "Moose perch w/ lever" and should be here by wednesday. I dont' think I need to do anything with cable do I ? Any input would help alot. Thanks upfront for any replies, Danny.

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
1. slide rubber boot off clutch adjuster
2.remove bolt that goes though the lever
3.remove the two 8mm bolts off perch
4.line the slot on the adjuster so its open and the cable should come off the lever

put back in reverse order , go to buykawasaki.com to see a parts diagram or you can print it off . if the moose perch is the same you mught be able to replace just that without removing the lever . hope this helps , jeff

Last edited:

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I am glad to see that your not like some of the Motocross guys, and don't load up your bike and take it back to the dealer you got it from and have them fix the problem. But, you would be saving yourself a lot of time/effort if you went out and got a manual. Maybe you alread have one, I don't know. But I am pretty sure that all of the answers your looking for are right in the book. I don't mean to sound snooty or anything, but the book helps a lot.

Ben

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You'll have better luck replacing the lever/perch as a 'set' from whomever. Chances are real good that an aftermarket perch won't work with the oem lever as good as it could.

You could buy a kawi perch! (thassa joke, son. Check the prices! ;) )

BTW, buy a cheap lever/perch set for use as a spare. Bolt the perch on your handlebars for safekeeping, carry the lever in your tool bag.

Danny Stein

Nov 12, 2002
Thanks guys for all the help. "Canyncarvr" thanks for the heads up with the compatability with OEM and Moose. Thats why I figuered to buy the perch and lever from Moose. $20.00 for both and three day air from Dennis Kirk. Not bad at all. "Twiztid One" thanks for the break down. Well happy KDX'n.

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
When you replace the perch, adjust it to the position where you like the lever and then tighten the perch attachment screws tight enough to prevent the assembly from rotating but also loose enough to allow for rotation in the case of a fall. That way, you will avoid many broken levers/perches in the future.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Ibought a whole aftermarket clutch assembly, perch, and lever, for $10 at the local shop, it was gonna cost $9.95 for just the end cap the bolt the perch onto the bars....

Top Bottom