Broke the handlebar clamp piece with proper Torque Spec

Jas_RM250

Aug 7, 2006
I don't know if this is an issue with recent Suzukis, but tonight I was going over my bike (2006 RM250) making sure everything was set up and I adjusted the handlebars, broke out the owner's manual to make double-sure I was torquing things to factory spec. So I start torquing the bars into the clamp (18 lbs/ft as per manual), and on the right bolt closest towards the seat, I was barely at the proper torque and I hear "SNAP" and the bolt got loose...I looked, and the plate that clamps the bar to the "holders"? had cracked. Now I have to replace a part that could have been faulty right from the start. Has anyone heard of this issue? I know that the first thing one would guess is that I over-torqued it, but I triple checked the manual, my torque-wrench, and back again...I assembled it correctly also, as per manual. The clamp-piece (I'm not sure for the exact term for this item) looks grainy in the crack (and that sounds really gross)...haha

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
I don't know if you did this but one thing I learned from torque wrenches is you torque it and leave it. You don't go back and forth retorqing bolts. I was putting torque on my shock clamps once and as I was doing so I noticed that when I would tighten the bottom on the top would would get lose so I would torque the bottom one then the top and then back to the bottom. This went on for a few mins and when I looked up I noticed that I had crushed the top part of my shock. So now when I torque bolts I always losen them up before I retorque them. I don't know if that is your case but that's just my thoughts on tightening bolts with a torque wrench.

Jas_RM250

Aug 7, 2006
I was reading the N*m, and lbs/ft ...I had it set properly, but I think the issue is probably caused by a similar thing as Blackcat mentioned. I was probably not tightening everything in small enough increments and it put too much force on that one corner. Still though, it's odd that it broke because it wasn't even that tight yet when it emitted that "pop" sound. Oh well....time to visit my bike shop for a replacement one. Hopefully they got some Pro Circuit stuff in. Or maybe I can find a cast iron one? haha kidding.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It shouldn't have broken. You had the correct torque. I'd bring the broken part back to the dealer and explain what happened. They may replace it...don't hold your breath though ;)

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I read that some of these have a front and back. If it does, there should be a notch indicating the front. I've never noticed one with a notch, but I've never really looked, either. Supposedly, they can break if you put them on backwards.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Ah, that's a good point. The part of the clamp that faces the back has a slight angle or height difference to it. You are suppose to torque the front bolts first and then the rear ones. When the front ones are tight you can easily see the angled surface on the back side that I'm talking about. The clamp won't touch the mating surface on the triple clamp.

The idea is that when you tighten up the rear bolts it closes the gap and guarantees that the bars are clamped tightly.

If you put the clamps on backwards, the rear of the clamp would have a much larger gap than it was designed for and it could snap when tightened.

Jas_RM250

Aug 7, 2006
Yep, had the clamp on correctly also, that I made sure of. SO I went to my bike dealer, a great place, the owner there rocks, but their parts guy might have been having an 'OFF' day. I explained to him what had happened, and that I had the correct torque, and clamp on in proper direction yadda yadda, and the guy just asks me for the model my bike is. I tell him "'06 RM250"...(I was sorta expecting some kind of conversation about it at this point, but but nope!) so he taps away at the computer for what felt like 10 minutes. Then he tells me they have none in stock (i'm thinking 'none' what? aftermarket or stock?). He wouldn't even show me a catalogue with the aftermarket ones they sell (and they carry em all). Got fed up with the guy's non-connectivity upstairs and put a stock replacement on order, paid in full and left. If I were a parts desk clerk, I dunno....I'd be more helpful and informative. Especially at this shop cuz the service I've always had was Top Notch. The owner of the shop not only talked 2-stroke with me for a half hour and also personally delivered the bike to my home last summer when I bought it. Sorry, had to rant there...I'm done hahaha....but if this next clamp snaps, I'm going Pro Circuit I think...or maybe cast iron ain't such a bad idea...peace!

Top Bottom