plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
Back in May, I broke my foot, the first metatarsal bone. On June 6 had to have sugery & 2 screws were inserted in the bone. Well it has been 5 months now & it is still very painful to put any pressure on the inside ball of my foot. It also still swells on the top of my foot during the day. Has anyone experienced this surgery? If so, is this normal, or should I go back to the Dr.? It has been a long recovery process, but the past month or so, it seems not to be getting any better. BTW I am in my late 40's(real late!). :eek:

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
PM Tony Eeds. Hes having foot problems right now. You guys might be able to form some kind of support group or something.

Phil

Nov 17, 1999
In 1999 I broke three bones in my foot, including a metatarsal (which one I can't remember), and shattering part of the navicular bone. I had to travel a hundred miles to worked on by a "really good" orthopedic surgeon. He put in six screws and a plate. You have to be patient, it's going to take a lot of time to heal. In my case, it was a full four months before I was allowed to put any weight on it at all. I was 19 and in pretty good shape when it happened, so I guess I healed as well as anyone could and it still took forever. After about six months it was still really bothering me and I was pretty discouraged by that. It did get a little better though over the next couple years. I think that even after the bone is healed it still takes long time for the ligaments and tendons to heal if you had any damage to those as I did. Three years later I am doing alright, I can run a couple miles sometimes but unfortunately I will never be able to run competitively like I used to. The only advice I can give you is to try and stay healthy and work the rest of your body, it will help you heal faster. Oh, and 800mg Motrin seems to work best for the arthritis you WILL have.

maui

Apr 22, 2002
I had what is called a lisfranc dislocation last dec 26, broke all metatarsls, and more. Got 5 pins for 6 weeks, was in a cast 100 days. Was 38 when I broke it. I can assure you its still healing, just in the last month I can finally stand on the broken foot without falling over, it took almost 1 year to get the stability. I am sure I can never run again, But I can walk all over and ride too. I had to give up on the moto track as the jumps lead to a really sore foot.I do ride offroad alot and windsurf alot. Your ortho wont tell you but it heals for at least 2 years and yes I am always getting a little better.Hnag in there and dont beat up your foot jumping. Take joint care suppliments,calcium, and vitamines.A girl I know broke one metatarsel and she said it took 18 months before she could jumproap, and she is younger than you. You WILL get alot better!

gbs1

Dec 2, 2002
plykins,
I broke my Talus and had 4 screws put in back in May. I had to stay off of my foot totaly for almost 4 months. I just started riding again the first of October. My foot still hurts pretty bad, and some day just walking is a pain unless I use a brace or keep the ankle/foot from moving. My doctor told me it the bones may be healed but all the collective damage may take a year or more to repair its self and then it will never be 100%.
I too am in my mid 40's so hang in there and don't rush it the pain will let you know what you can and can not do. best of luck

DezDuster

Sponsoring Member
Sep 19, 2002
In 1982 I had a severe brain fade and accepted a ride on the back of a hopped up Honda three wheeler (the first time I ever sat on one of the foul beasts) and my right foot got sucked into the back wheel. Running over my own leg left me with broken tibia, fibula, ripped tendons, and a total dislocation of the right foot from the right ankle. I was lucky enough to have the team ortho dr. for the UNLV Runnin' Rebels put me back together, but it was still brutal. I graduated from a cast (several times) and a wheel chair, to crutches, to a cane and after about a year I could put good pressure on it and get around OK. I'm left with a plate and six pins that are still in my right leg and I can't run worth a darn except on a really soft treadmill, but I do have full rotation of my right foot.
In 1998 I felt confident enough to get back in the saddle and I picked up a new Husaberg FE501. Since then I've managed to dislocate my left sholder and hyper-extend my left knee and fracture the left tibia. At 58 I don't really feel that I heal any slower, and I know that with the 'Berg I ride faster than ever and it is still fun. Hang in there Plykins, just think of all the arthritis you have to look forward to. Celbrex does wonders.

Top Bottom