broken rib video - tell me where i went wrong

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
Hard jump to land. Looks like when the bike slapped down, your ass went back, arms went full extension and your right hand lost its grip. Your left hand pulled the bars over and down you went.

I agree with getting warmed up before you try anything crazy. But you know I love showing my injuries to my coworkers on Monday mornings. "So what did you do this weekend?" "Normal" people just don't understand why I keep doing it!

------------------

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
ouch, that sucks dude.
I had a jump almost like that after I started riding again, but only I managed to skate on my front tire and keep the bike upright (don't ask me how), riding trails is much safer :)

------------------
Jeff-
'84 Can-Am ASE 250 (brutally fast rat bike)
'93 Kawasaki KDX200 (big bore kit, A-Loop suspension, FMF pipe)

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Looks to me like you tugged on the bars, maybe in an effort to get the front up and wheelie over the jump? I had a similar crash once. I'm no jumping expert either, but from what I can see of that jump, I think I'd be at around 3/4 throttle in 2nd and standing in a pretty neutral position. Accelerating, but not fanning the clutch or blipping the throttle. Probably getting 15-20'?

------------------
Mental note: uncheck "show signature" before submitting next time :

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by smb_racing:
riding trails is much safer :)

Tell that to the cracked rib on my right side that I got last weekend at the Brr in the Bush enduro.... Ouch!!! The front end washed in sand, on a turn, and I cracked my chest against the throttle, with a chest protector.

On the other hand, I'm changing tires on Friday so I can go ride more on Saturday.

Either it's a lot of fun, or we don't learn from our mistakes, very well....

Yup, It's fun!!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Ok here's my input;
1. your approach speed and the speed you left the jump where the same as if you were letting the momentum of your approach carry you through the jump ( kick that mule )

2. Look at your video again and note were your rear tire makes contact, it appears as if it lands at the base of a small mound and that slams your front end down plus your weight transfers forward faster than you realized plus being offgased and "OUCH" there you have it.

Personally I think that if you had not landed were you did you could've pulled it off.

------------------
never ride faster than an angel can fly

adamwn

Apr 13, 2001
I had a incident just like yours two weeks ago on my 00 RM-250. I was doing a huge step-up jump where the landing was in the middle of a hill climb, and just like in your video the front end came up fast but in my crash i got beyond vertical and fell off the bike in the air and fell on my tailbone which knocked the wind out of me for what felt like 2 minutes and broke my tailbone.
My bike landed far from me, so atleast it didn't land on me. Your video made me laugh , but... i shouldn't have because as i write this i am sitting on a inflatable rubber doughnut, and laughing is a pain in the you know what.

------------------
Adam from SoCal
01 XR650R
01 400EX
00 RM-250
01 Recon

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
Bummer dude,

Looks like to much gas on take off and angled approach to the jump caused the bike to go left. Then when it landed, the front wheel was on the left side of a little mound and your body was saying go right and the bike wanted to go left. Then when you tried to compensate, it washed the front end our and when you fell (bike went left, you went right). You right arm was tucked to your side (major pucker factor) and you landed on your arm, thus breaking you rib.IMHO :)

vetwfo'er

------------------
99 WR400f, White Bros E-Series silencer and tapered head pipe. YZ seat and tank. Thumper rad guards, works frame guards, scots steering damper. Soon to be MX-Tech suspension. SETRA, AMA, Happy Ramblers MC.

97KDX220, FMF Rev pipe and silencer, renthals.

Courage is not the absense of fear. It is the judgement that something is more important, than fear.

RM250boy

Mar 7, 2001
vet ------&gt; that is the exact same way that i see it now after it watching over and over and listening to everyones input! my conclusion (with the help of "someone") is that it was just a fluke! ;o

you guys should see this dubbed with Pantera

------------------
John (o)(o)
'99 Suzuki RM 250

[This message has been edited by RM250boy (edited 04-13-2001).]

RM250boy

Mar 7, 2001
ok i posted it now.. slightly longer cut with pantera jammin!

go HERE

------------------
John (o)(o)
'99 Suzuki RM 250

[This message has been edited by RM250boy (edited 04-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by RM250boy (edited 04-16-2001).]

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
The link doesn't work but I'd still like to see it.

------------------

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
RM250boy:

I started riding again a few years back, after a 20 year layoff. The first thing I did was loop my "well used" CR500 over backward. :eek: It was several months before I could sit straight.

Wear protective gear and practice, practice..

Your video should be called "What happens when you don't ride for 17 years?"

------------------
Holeshot's Page

Rogue

Dec 25, 2000
I think when your butt hit the seat the front wheel was unweighted and could only wash out. Must stay on your feet!

------------------
It is allright to be afraid. Ya just can't let fear dictate your actions.

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
I think i could clear that "jump" on my bmx bike:p .I also think my 10 year old sister can go bigger than that:confused: >Just joking about my sister, but the bmx thing is true.Tapping the back brake might of helped but you did'nt have enough time.A chestprotector is an excellent idea.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
It looks like you gave it too much power and sat too far back on the bike. You should really stand up further and modulate the throttle when you go over a whoop-de-doo. Using the clutch in whoops isnt a very good idea because it is harder to hold the clutch or slowly feather it out. Man i thought i sucked, thank you.

Top Bottom