sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
ok guys the first week of dec i had horrible crash.
i ended up breaking all my ribs on the right side and 2-3 on left side :(
i have been out of hospital for 2 weeks now recovering ok still really sore
i was wondering what others do to help with recovery. i know its a semi slow process, was just wondering if there was anything i could do to help speed it up a little i/e any exercise etc
ty sparky

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Be sure to inflate your lungs fully from time to time. I was told this is important when I had broken ribs. Supposedly you don't want the ribs to heal in a way that limits your cylinder volume.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
yeah the hospital gave me a breathing exercise for that
it also keeps fluid out of lungs.i just want to be off the pain meds i dont like being all foggy in the head.

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
I don't really have advice for the recovery process but I was wondering if you could explain the crash in more detail. It must have been preety crazy.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i wrapped myself around a tree in 3rd gear in whoop section
at least that's what i was told i only remember waking up on the ground

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Stay on the breathing exercises, keep that rib cage full. DON'T SNEEZE!! I had two ribs broken right up under my left arm pit, and I sneezed right when they were starting to mend, and POP POP they rebroke, sent me to the floor. I spent a lot of time pinching my nose when I felt a tickle after that.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i hear ya on the sneezing rooster i broke 2 a few years ago
and when i sneezed it felt like i was being stabbed in side
so i beeen pinching nose since i got out hospital :laugh:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Well, I hope you heal up well, sparky, busted ribs are probably second only to tailbone injuries, there's nothing you can do but wait for them to heal up. At least you are in FL and can enjoy some decent weather, being stuck inside here with an injury or illness sucks.

SINGLETRAC

Oct 10, 2007
sorry about your crash spark. hope you heal up quick. just curious, were you wearing a chest protector?? probably wouldnt matter at that speed, iknow they help on a sliding crash, just curious about a "dead" stop ?

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
yeah i had my chest protector on i think it saved my life or
saved me from even more injuries i looked at it the other day it was scuffed up but no cracks or serious damage :cool:
rooster thats one of the good points of living florida although we are going to have temps in the high 20's tonight and in to tommorow morning and i just got cleared by doc to go back to work lite duty brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
High temps in the 20's?? Damn, I thought it was cold up here, LOL.

Jul 4, 2006
Dang Sparky you must have done that shortly after I talked to you at Dade City. I was in a car accident when I was 27 and broke every rib on my left side, you don't want to know how long it took for the pain to subside. I wish you the best of luck in this, just don't do anything to impact those ribs for quite awhile.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
yeah steve the sunday after i saw you at dade city. i was up at croom we were heading back to parking lot was going through whoop section i guess i blipped throttle or whatever at wrong time come up out of deep whoop and launched right into a tree. steve are you guys still going to dade city or you waiting for next season to start? give me shout on southern forum the next time your heading up there and i hobble out and watch the little guy race
rooster the cold will only last a day or so i can deal with that
better than when i lived outside boston and cold lasted months :laugh:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
sparky - I see you know the cold, having lived in the Boston area. It hangs around here for quite a while. Hasn't been too bad this year, (knock on wood) so far, going to be near 50 this weekend.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
take it while ya can get it rooster
50 down here and everyone is freezing myself included
been down here iin florida 10 years so im wimp now

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Yeah, I had open my damn mouth, it's 6.8 F right now, with a nice windchill in the minus 20's. Brrrrr. Battery in my truck is shot, so I have to go throw the jumper on that and head to Autozone and get a new one. Ack!

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
It was 6 degrees here this morning as well, with a wind chill of -20,.... staying real close to the woodstove today.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Shaw520 said:
as in, six point eight degrees
OMG, are you serious?!? Does it really get that cold on this planet? I'd probably have to invest in a long sleeved shirt if that ever happened here.

Is there some kind of wierd law requiring people to live in such conditions? :nener:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
LOL, Gomer. Yes there is a wierd law, it's called the "wife wanted to move back home law" hehehe

It gets even colder in the upper midwest (IA, SD, ND, NE) with the windchill it gets really bitter, there are literally no trees or hills to block the wind, so it just howls from the Provinces down on them. Brrrrrrrrrr!

We still have a strong desire to move to the Greenville, SC area and hang out in the "hot" weather! Mayhap this summer, but there are other irons in the fire up here right now. :think:

Apr 30, 2007
We had a high of -18F last night (er...the night before? I can't remember)...that's not counting the windchill...

Rooster is definitly right. In the "Red River Valley" there are no trees, and even a 1/4 inch of snow can cause white-out conditions.

Top Bottom