Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
This weekend my bike was leaking gas like mad. I looked at the bottom of the tank and it looked as if it were coming from the pet cock(sp?) I took the tank off and low and behold the tank had 2 cracks in it, at the very back, underneath where the tank sits on the rubber frame mount. Each crack is about 2 inches long.:think

BTW it is a 99' YZ400

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Can it be fixed?
Does anybody have a spare they want to sell?
Where can I find a new one without getting robbed?

Tanks... mean thanks.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
You now have an interesting flower planter

Cracked plastic can't be fixed safe/well enough to hold gas. :(

Try HERE for IMS.

and HERE for Clarke Tanks.

I bought a tank for my old TT600 a few years ago from Clarke and it cost about $150.00 plus shipping etc.

The see through tanks are pretty cool--nice to be able to look down and see how much gas you have left.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Hey Thump,

I have an IMS tank that I use for the long rides on my 99 400F and it is quite nice. I dont know if you trail ride or mx, but it is not wide or intrusive in any way. Plus it is much cheaper than a new stock one.

later
mxbundy

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thump.

There was a discussion on Thumper Talk about the YZ tanks cracking. I have heard that it is caused by the one way breather on the gas cap. Lets air in, but, not out. Pressurizes the tank.

Like mxbundy said, the IMS tanks are pretty nice and a lot less money than stock.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Question is... a stock capacity tank available after-market?

B

biglou

Thump-Try Neanderthal Cycle Salvage.They wind up with a lot of OEM stuff off bikes that have been upgraded.I got a stock 2001 tank for my 2000 DRZ for $150 from a bike that had gotten an IMS oversized tank. They should have what you need. Best results if you call them at (909) 874-5451.I found them a little slow at answering their Emails, but there is always someone there to get the phone.
Hope this helps.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
Question is... a stock capacity tank available after-market?
Clarke is the best bet for a stock capacity tank. They make 'em for old Maicos even.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Clarke will have a stock capacity tank for the YZ***F's, but not until late October :(
It will be around $170 retail and available in most colors.
As Ol'89er said, it is partially due to the tank vent. On a hot day the fumes swell the tank faster than the pressure can release, especially if your riding on a rough course.

blakemx124

Feb 16, 2001
Broken YZ Tank

Thump,I saw the title of your post and had to reply. WE had tank problems with both of our 2000 YZ 125's. They cracked along the line where the radiator shrouds attach. The bikes were kept in the garaged and ridden very little, in fact one of the bikes was only a month old!! I contacted the Yamaha dealer where we bought the bikes and Yamaha replaced both tanks for free saying that there were some bad tanks out there due to the plastic curing was too fast on some batches causing some of the tanks manufactured not to be as flexible when swelling from fuel and heat. . :think Three weeks after the tank replacement, one of the new replacement tanks cracked again in the same spot. They replaced that tank too, but told me it would be the last time. :eek: I put the bikes up for sale within that week and sold them. I didn't want to worry about another tank problem. I now own a '01YZF250 and so far no problems. The bike is 7 months old. Hopefully I won't have problems. I don't know if the dealer or Yamaha will help you because of the year of your bike but it might be worth a try. Last week at our local race track, A friend of ours with a '01 YZ 125 had his tank crack during a race in the same spot our YZ 125 tank cracked. You could see the gas pouring out of the side of his bike as he went by.The problem is still out there!! :scream:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
There's been a lot of reported tanks cracking from that timeframe. Go to your dealer, Yamaha has replaced some of them. If he won't help, post for a tank here. I was able to get a YZ tank for my WR from a friendly guy on this site. Guys that switch out for an IMS, Clarke or Acerbis tank may sell you their stock YZ tank.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Cracked tanks are common on a lot of bikes, not just Yamaha's. The boys 2000 KX80 split around the filler. Kawasaki Australia did a warrenty even though it was way out of time.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Bought a new one today... "should" have it by next Thursday... Local dealer said Yami woun't do anything about it because it is a 99 model. But they sold me a new on at cost thanks to Tominator's connections. $212 was better than the $317 list for a stocker.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Ivan you are right about the 250F and 400F being the same... and Clarke does make most tanks at stock capacity... but not for the F's... If you buy a bigger on don't sell your stocker... even to me, you never know when you might need it.

Top Bottom