robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Well here's a strange one.

I was changing the throttle cable tonight in anticipation of my first race since I broke my wrist.

My Mikuni TMX carb slide has a triangle shaped piece broken out of the very thin material at the bottom of the slide. See photo.

It appears to be beginning to crack on the other side in exactly the same location.

I have no idea where the piece is. It's not stuck in the reeds and apparently not in the motor. I rode 12 laps hard at the last session of practice Wednesday night and had no problems - and the bike hasn't been started since.

Can I grind the cracked/broken sections down and use the slide for a week or two until I get a replacement?

Thanks

Rob

Core87

Jul 4, 2006
I wouldn't be using that in my carb, might be a good time to find another slide or another carb maybe. My tmx 36 has a rectangular slide, not kidney shaped like the pic, are you sure that's a tmx slide?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Fits fine and seems to be designed for the hole in the carb. Came on the bike (I'm second owner) when I bought it. Stock carb on the 02 RM is a TMX. Maybe my carb isn't a stock carb. . .? It is a mikuni for certain, but I see no other info stamped on the carb.

My former pro buddy says he would grind it and use it until the new part came in. I know nothing about the subject, so was looking for second opinion (and the basis for that opinion).

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
bclapham said:
there are 2 types of TMX, that is the right carb.

there are plenty going on eeeevelbay

Really? I must have been using the wrong search terms b/c I was having trouble finding a 36mm.

I'll look again.

BTW, we did grind it and it worked fine last night. Got a 4th out of 13 in my first race in 2 years.

Top Bottom