jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
What a great day of racing !!! As we pulled in to the pits Sat morning around 3 am, I parked in the old pro pits and basically just passed out next to my bike in the van while Paul crashed in the pass. seat. Woke up around 7:30 am and went to sign up. I noticed some extra classes were added for the modern guys and wished I had a nice CR500AF to run in the 30+A class.
All the usual suspects were there and I even met a few more while roaming the complex. Kenny was running his RM250 this time and I thought I might have an edge on him this time but he surprised me. His bike was in great shape but he had no time on it except for practice. As for practice, I didn't get in enough time to get those rockers down pat, nor the ones before the national uphill so I was going to have step it up especially after I saw Kenny do them right in front of me.
My first moto was the GP250 and I actually got a good start but was no match for Weavers modern thumper. I had a great battle with #726 and finally got around him as a personal goal even though he wasn't in my class. It was the rocker section that I got him in but was still feeling out the other ones and almost got passed cause of it. Moto 2 was pretty much the same but the track actually seemed to be getting better. I gotta say, Tom hurd and his crew did a great job on the track prep before and during the races. I felt like we were being treated just like the pros when they went out and groomed the track. Dave Hurley had a great race on his 175 as he rocketed out front early and just flat out ran away with it.
The Evo open expert was where I wanted to shine but it was only 3 motos after my GP class and I was TIRED!!! I got a quick drink and went back down to the gate. My start wasn't bad and after the first few turns I realized Kenny wasn't trying to show a wheel like he does early on. Well, he had some mechanical issues and didn't see him the entire moto but I did see alot of Tim Weaver. He is really fast on that old Bultaco!!! I noticed he was having difficulty in the rockers and tried several times to make a pass but when we got to the corner he just shut the door. Even going up some of those hills he was haulin. I think I made a pass in the rockers stick but he got me back on the long dunlop downhill on the outside and beat me into the corner. I was very impressed with that pass but I kept trying to keep him close for when we got to the rockers again. I made an attempt at the double after the first turn on the last lap and came up short causing BOTH legs to separate from my ride. After that Weaver was far enough in front to pull off the moto one victory. I felt pretty good with that race and even went over to Tim to congratulate him on the win. We talked for a few minutes about the race and he said he didn't even know if he was going to make that turn when he passed me...WOW!!!
Moto #2 for the Evo class was a real classic to remember. It was a three way battle with me Kenny and Tim. Kenny got his bike running better and surprised the heck outta me with a great start with Weaver and I in toe. I knew I had to make my pass on Weaver quick so I got a good line through the rockers and made it count. Now all was left was to deal with "Duke". We were heading for the back stretch down the hill by the tree line and I saw Kenny hit the big tabletop and thought to myself "COME ON!" I didn't think I had a good chance to catch him after he doubled down the hill also. But then he made a mistake in the rockers and, thankfully I didn't follow him, I made the pass. Now all I had to do was try and run from him. He stayed pretty close after that and coming down the Dunlop hill he did the same exact move Weaver did from the outside to pass me in the corner at the bottom. I stayed as close as I could and thought to myself "I have to make a pass back at him quick" but my opportunity didn't come until a half a lap later when we on the national section right before the Dunlop downhill. He took the inside rut going into the lefthander and out of nowhere this magical super inside line appeared to me. I cut over and just prayed that my front tire would grab it, and IT DID!!! All I had to do was keep him from getting me at the bottom of the hill again and I thought I could get away. Well, a lap later I peeked over my shoulder and saw I had good lead and started to relax again but the next time I did a quick check I saw Weaver in second. So I put on my game face again and didn't look back till the checkers and pulled of the win! That moto victory had given me the overall. What a race!
My friend Paul got alot of great pics from these races and I invite all to see them when he gets them posted. I'll add the link in here as soon as I get them. Hurley your races are in there too so make sure to check them out. After the races we traveled south down 81 for about 45 minutes and headed for MX 573 practice track in Montrose. I rode there for awhile on Sunday and had a great time camping and setting off some fireworks. I even brought my potato gun along for the trip. I actually got up the nerve to shove a quarter stick in it after a potato and try to make it shoot up into the sky before the boom, but for the first try it didn't go high enough and it went off after it landed so we tried again and this time the spudgun failed to fire so I was forced to toss the gun and run! The quarter stick blew my gun in half. I think Paul got some pics of that too. LOL. MX573 has this cool 85 foot double there and I found enough power out of my 78 to git er done. I got a video of it too for all of those that don't beleive an old bike can jump that far.

Here are Pauls pics from Binghamton. They are in 2 parts. http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/paulsmxpix/July 1 2006 Binghamton NY/

Here are the pics from the Montrose trip. http://wopr.myftp.biz/pics/2 Riding pics/Montrose/07-02-06/

ENJOY!!!

Top Bottom