Brothers bike overheated now it wont start?

jpm5151

Sep 11, 2001
My brother has a 94 CR125. He has had it for about three months and lately it has been getting extremely hot. He fouled a plug and went to change it and the motor was so hot it melted part of his glove. We checked the coolant and could not see any from the top, so we added some, well we started it up and it looked as if everything we added came out the radiator overflow onto the ground. Well we went riding the other day and fouled a plug again and we removed the plug and had almost a white appearance, I'm assuming that means it is overheating. Well we couldn't get the bike started after that and I am wondering what kind of damage could he have done by riding it extremely hot? And why would the bike not start? Could that have anything to do with it overheating or is that something else. We are both new to riding and this forum is a godsend. Any help would be most greatly appreciated.
:cool:

jadair

Dec 10, 2000
If the plug was white that means the engine is running to lean. Fill the radiator up to the top, start the bike with the cap off and let it idle and see if the coolant level goes down. If it does pour more in. See if the coolant is still coming out of the overflow.

Last edited:

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
This doesn't sound good!
I'm no expert, far from it, but this sounds kind of serious.
The white plug tip indicates a major problem, usually lean, dont know if anything else can cause it though.
You may have a head gasket problem, as it dumped all the freshly added water out the overflow after restarting.
I think if thats the case then you will get bubbling in the radiator.
Cant make sense of the plug being 'fouled" yet white?
I wouldn't ride it again until you sort out the problem, majpr overheating can cause serious damage, if it hasn't allready.
Good Luck, and I hope you get better replies than this one.

Top Bottom