bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Just a little update for you guys, a while back everything was up in the air- the pharma industry is struggling right now, and it seemed i was overqualified for everything in San Diego!

So, after a few interviews, i accepted a really good job at Abbott Laboratories, in Ilinois- actually a better position than any company in San Diego really, except pfizer but they are in trouble a bit also.

Yep, i am giving up the SoCal gig, and heading out to North Chicago. Good ole Rich has been helping me out a bit, but he isnt gonna know whats hit him come moto time this summer- really looking forward to it, should be cool.

Talking of cool, i found an indoor track about 80 miles from my new workplace so at least i can moto a bit when it snows, and Erics shop is only 40 miles away.

Looking to be there around May, remember, little Brucie is due in July so its gonna be a tight squeeze getting in a apartment in time.

Looking forward to meeting all you ChicagoLanders soon!!!!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Welcome to the Midwest, Bruce! I have a friend who works at Abbott and she has been really happy there.

Sounds like you'll be here in time for Red Bud, unless lil Bruce is due then. If you want the scoop on local MX tracks or races, etc.... let us know as we're seasoned Midwest moto heads. We live 30 miles south of Chicago and have 50-60 MX tracks within a 250 mile drive.... including 4 permanent indoor tracks for winter riding (will be 5 if Joliet can get their zoning approved) and a few sand tracks, so it's not a bad place to live if you like MX!

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bruce if you are going to live in an apartment, where do you plan on keeping your bike let alone working on it? :)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
bclapham said:
Looking forward to meeting all you ChicagoLanders soon!!!!
The hell with them meet a better class of people here in cheeseland :nod:
Is the indoor track the one at Waterman? Actually unless you are moving here this week the outdoor tracks should be in full swing. Let me know when you are coming up and I expect that you will be doing the Senior RacerX nationals at Aztalan come September (there are also a couple no name tracks in the series- you know Redbud, millville and byron ;) )
Hope to see you soon

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
thanks for the support Nikki, Rich, Mark and OldGuy, its nice to hear some good feedback, since 90% of people here think they know how bad chicago will be, but have never even been there! :bang: (its a Kali thing, they think SoCal is the center of the universe) But the other 10% have been really supportive and are already planning coming out. To be honest, the only downside i could see would be not being able to ride for the snow, but 5 indoor tracks!!! yeah baby!!!! :yeehaw:

Isnt Gomer nearby also??? he brought some really nice bratwursts to the San Diego SX one year. :worship:

right now, we are looking for something like a 2-3 bed apartment/condo, and a garage will be a must. Once we have an idea on the place, we can look for our fist home. Its certainly an exciting time for us, and the indoor tracks seems cool also.

and Uncle Rich, dont worry about my bike being worked on, i am sure you will get time inbetween diaper changes, you can fix 2 smokers, right!!!! :) :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
bclapham said:
and Uncle Rich, dont worry about my bike being worked on, i am sure you will get time inbetween diaper changes, you can fix 2 smokers, right!!!! :) :cool:

AS soon as I finish freshening up my 2 Hodakas and my LC350 I'll get right on it Bruce. ;)

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Abbott Labs as in H.Q. in Lake Bluff? (it is lake bluff there?)Me old stomping grounds!!! really nice up there.
Be sure to visit the "Rockland Roadhouse" (as close to a "pub" as you'll find). Just ask, the locals will know.

Go a little north and look for a place in Lake Forest. Inexpensive housing up that way :p Yes, there is more than SoCal.

Enjoy.

I really do miss the place. Great food, good people, all the (new) culture you can handle. Oh and a Brit who's experience is SoCal? Once you are moved....

Welcome to America. :aj:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Good luck. I am jealous of your new track selection...

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Okiewan said:
with an "a"... not the place to explore...
go south young man. Everything good is south and or east (the lake shore) of you. North? WISCONSIN!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!

Thanks Okie, so where are the good areas within 20-30 miles of Abbott??? Like i said, i have pretty much the pick of anywhere really, just want somewhere safe and not too far from work. Once we've been there a few months we can get a better idea. There were several people that made the commute in from Wi everyday and they were talking less than 40 mins by car.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
40 minutes? Pfft, you aren't in SoCal any more Dorothy.
For short-term apartment life, there are several to choose from just down the road from Abbott. Look in Lake Bluff, Deerfield, etc.

The Lake Forest reference was a joke, unless you are knocking down mid/upper 6 figures; it's one of the weathliest (old money (ie; generations) in "USA Old" terms) communities in the country.

Buying a home is a different story, yes, it's cheaper in WI. If not there, you'll need to go south or west of Abbott, mostly west. Losts a great areas in the area. Libertyville is nice and maybe 20 minutes west. Basically, the father from the lake the cheaper.

FYI; Nielsen is probably the best stocked local bike shop close by, in Gurnee.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Okiewan said:
with an "a"... not the place to explore...
go south young man. Everything good is south and or east (the lake shore) of you. North? WISCONSIN!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!
Come on now Okie those Brats Gomer had don't come close to true Wis Brats.
And remember our "DAIRYAIR" smells better :moon:
Bruce live in Wis work in Ill-in-noise if you have to

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
oh man, ive not even got there yet and ive already started a fight, LOL!!!

so can someone clear up, is the commute from Wi shorter or longer than 40 mins?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
bclapham said:
oh man, ive not even got there yet and ive already started a fight, LOL!!!

so can someone clear up, is the commute from Wi shorter or longer than 40 mins?
Depends where in Wis From Kenosha that may be pretty close with the interstate. Most our other roads aren't paved yet.
Wis = far lower property prices, far cheaper vehicle registrations, far cheaper insurance, and remember our DAIRYAIRE is fresher :moon:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
WisconSIN is close, maybe 10-15 miles? (I'm guessing as I was not allowed in that state after that little thing in Lake Geneva in '96) Of course there is a lot of traffic on 94 (main highway to lala land), but probably less than you are used to. That being said, I'd guess less than 30 minutes from Lake Bluff to say Kenosha, WI... there are many housing opportunites between the border and Millwalkkiee (they dump their sewage in Lake Michigan), it just depends on how far north you want to venture.

Yes, there is a little "issue" between those two states, although I'm not sure why, it's not like there's anything in WI 'cept meat packers. And cheese. ( :p )

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bruce - So you aren't going to be working in Abbott Park like you originally thought?

Top Bottom