TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
Just wanted to comment on my first visit to Brushy Mtn. this past Friday since there was a recent post about riding areas in NC. We only rode on the "green" or easy trails but we liked it. The trails are in good shape, not too much rocks or roots(at least where we were). One of these was an old fire road (about a 4 mile loop) where I could stay in 3rd gear most of the time. Fast and fun. There are a number of "rain bars" ( water diverting hills to prevent erosion) that cross the trails that make fun small jumps. The facilities are excellent with indoor toilets and showers, and they are clean!! Richard and Van are great guys and very helpful. I wish it wasn't 3 hrs. from the Triangle area and I could go more often.

If anybody has ridden the blue trails, tell me what you think???

Thanks...........

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Thanks for the info. I just got a new '03 KDX200 and I'm itching to open it up. Brushy Mtn sounds like the place. Lord willing I'll try it out soon (I live near Salisbury), and if I get up the experience to try the advanced trails, I'll tell you about it.

I've checked out NCDirtRider.com and saw the trails listed there; do you have any other recommendations?

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
wanaride;

I guess you saw Brown Mtn. on the list. I hear Brushy Mtn. is a bit less rocky. I don't know of any other trail areas except Uwharrie Nat. Forest, and I hear it's a rocky place to ride, haven't been there though. Just went to Devils Ridge in Sanford last week. Nice track with easy jumps. Good for beginners like me.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Hey DirtDad, we need to get together, I'm on the south side of town where do you hide?
I enjoy Devil's Ridge but we do a bit of our riding in SC at TNT. I am looking for a big ride at Brown Mtn as soon as James gets healed up. We'll have all the SC boys head north for a change.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by Stumpy
I thought you were cured of wanting to ride on the trails, Whyzee... :D
Yep, I'll stick to the dry and wide ones from here on out.
Man that was a day, I didn't think I was ever going to get home, thanks Dave! If you and Scott had not turned around, I'd still be out there! :confused:

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Hey DirtDad, I heard they had some trails or a track for little ones. Did you see them and was it a trail or an actual mx track for the kids? I really want to go to Brushy soon.

Jim

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
ocechap-

i did see the mini-cross track but sorry, i don't remember much about it. we sort of rode beside it entering the "youth trail". it's behind the office, not too big, had some large whoops and maybe a few jumps?? Call the owner Richard- he can fill you in. 828-635-7766. By the way, the youth trail that's behind the office has a few tricky spots such as some sharp downhill turns. I locked up my brakes and kept going a couple of times so pay attention! An easy fun loop is the "C2" trail. About 4 miles of old fire road that goes to the top of the mtn. and back down. I really want to get bak up there and try some more of the trails.

Go! You'll like it-

TM

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
DirtDad, thanks for the reply, sounds like a great place to ride. I'll call them and ask about the trails for sure. Do you live around Raleigh?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Just be careful not too carry too much speed into the little whoop section until you'r ready.

Also, as always on any track, pick a side before you get to a jump and stay there well after the jump...don't want to change sides under someone.

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
wanaride-
whyzee is right!! VERY safe track, safest one I've been on. BUT on open practice days, it is crowded. I'm not used to banging bars (and my knees) with other riders, but I did it there. the track was wet with lots of soft ruts that day also which made it tricky. best thing is, you learn how the good riders do it in those conditions.

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
ocechap;

we live in the south Durham area near RTP. Close to more traffic than riding areas, but there are places within an hour or so.

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
DirtDad, have you been down to the sandpits near Cameron, NC. I am from Sanford and we went there this weekend for my mom's 65th birthday, and of course we took the bikes to ride on our way back. I was the first time I took the family there. Lots of soft sand, good hill climbs and trails to boot. Hot though, very hot, duh! It might get a little crowded but you can go ride the trails if it does. Let me know if you need directions.

Jim

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
Ocechap-

Seems like I've heard about these sandpits, but I thought access was closed down. Is it legal to ride there?? I would like some directions from South Durham/Chapel Hill, thanks!!

Tony

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Tony, there are several pits actually, the only one I ride is the one on the right as you get there. A guy took me to another one that was still a working pit and I'm sure that one was illegal, but the one that I ride has no NO TRESPASSING signs and lots of people ride it. There are some trails as well that end up leading to some dirt roads but some good berms are there too.

I guess you would get to Sanford via easiest route for you then take Hwy 1 towards Southern Pines, exit onto Hwy 24/27 in Cameron. Turn left at the top of the ramp. Go through Cameron for several miles. I am not sure how far it is, maybe 5 to 10 miles or so and you'll come to a wooded area on the right and there will be a cut off telephone pole, maybe 4ft high, and a dirt road. There is another post there, like a 4X4, as well. Turn right into that road and follow it down. If you go too far you will pass a big green water tower on the right surrounded by a fence. You'll also see a big open area on the left as you get to the pit on the right.

Good luck,

Jim

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I went to Brushy Mtn this past weekend and did 5 laps on the "2C" easy trail (3.5mi loop). It is listed as a "Youth Trail" but I wouldn't want my small kids to go down it, LOTS of rocks and some nasty mud. I had a great time and I highly recommend the place, but I can't imagine small kids blasting down through the 2C trail. Just be sure to ride with your kids and you'll be fine. Maybe the 1C is better, don't know didn't try it.

I must have ridden on a different "2C" trail than others; I don't remember 4 miles of fire road. There were some open spots, but I never got in 4th gear while I was there; mostly 2nd and 3rd gear for this newbie.

I'm hoping to go back soon and try some of the other trails.

FWIW, you might want to give their legal release form a slow read before you ride. I had a real hard spot with the section at the end; I can't remember the exact wording but it was to the effect of "I release the people associated with this park from anything and everything, including intentional and active negligence." I understand they have to be in CYA mode, but that seemed WAY over the top to me. Almost didn't sign it...oh well, maybe all trails are that way and I just need to get over it...

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
wanaride;

you WERE on the same trail I was talking about, 2c. Now I remember the number. It seems like it was almost all fire trail (or wide trail) to me except fro when you first get on it. Sounds like you had a little more moisture to deal with. I saw very little mud, but what I saw was SLICK!! Next time, ride the youth trail behind the facility, it's a lot more chalenging than 2c!! Very tricky in places. We're not used to all the steep hills here in the Piedmont. I hope the place will be a success, I'd like to go back sometime.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
OK, I thought I was ready for something new, so I tried the "1C" trail this past weekend. Not a good idea for a beginner!!! It was extemely muddy and I had loads of problems on a long downhill section, but the LARGE uphill section is what ended my day. Losing all momentum 1/2 way up a huge muddy hill is not a good plan! After my third fall on that hill, I had to back out of it and pack it in for the day. :(

Some guys made it up that hill, including a fellow KDX rider, so it is definitely do-able, but I guess my newbie colors were showing on Saturday. Once my back and knees get healed, I'm heading back to 2C...

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
Wanaride;

Sorry to hear about the bad mud on 1C trail! Hope you are okay! I've been lucky and haven't gotten hurt bad so far (knock on wood). Brushy Mtn. does have some really slick muddy spots. I will certainly treat any steep hills with respect. Thanks for the warning and good luck.

Tony

Top Bottom