RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Has anyone heard about a blow up with Bubba, Kawasaki and Monster? I have heard (4th person) that there has been some talk about it in the SX pits and he is splitting from both of them. Around the first SX I had heard some rumblings about friction between Monster and Bubba but nothing since.

No facts, just rumor at this time but was wondering if anyone can elaborate.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
As far as Kawasaki goes, James contract is up this year so there will be specualtion he is moving to pretty much every brand you can think of before he actually signs a contract. The strongest rumor I've heard to date was him reuniting with his former mechanic Jeremy Albrecht who is the team manger for Gibbs racing.

The Monster saga has been going for a while. James was one of Red Bulls top athletes and had a very large contract with them, including some sweet bonuses like the Bentley they gave him last year. Then shortly after James got his Bentley, Kawasaki signed Monster as the Teams title sponsor and James was forced to dump Red Bull as a personal sponsor due to the conflict. This would be why you never see James with a can of Monster on the podium even though he always had a Red Bull water bottle previously.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
the injury repair was very good timing and don't blame him a bit. But hopefully with the sale of the racing to DMG they get the who gets what sponsorships straight. or we will see more of this.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Wardy not sure of the relevance of the DMG thing. This isn't related to Monster being the Title sponsor of the SX series it's the fact they are the Title sponsor of the Factory Kawasaki race team and as such James can't have a conflicting personal sponsor.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
but you can bet that the whole debate over sponsors will be handled by DMG. Jeff Gordon can't go and get a "personal sponsor" with Sherman Williams. This is the kind thing that will be fixed in pro and that is likely a good thing, maybe now the riders will get paid what they are worth.

AMAtuer side of things, now that is what I think is going to have some major problems and time will see if they figure that out at AMA>?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
wardy said:
Jeff Gordon can't go and get a "personal sponsor" with Sherman Williams.

I don't know enough about Nascar to be certain but all you ever hear is about how this guy or that guy got his ride because of the sponsors he could bring in to the team. Are you saying Nascar (DMG) dictates to RCR or Hendricks or whoever what sponsors they can have for their program?

My belief is that Jeff Gordon could get any personal sponsor he wants as long as the Team that holds his contract doesn't have a problem with it.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
I think if the team has a sponsor, or gets one it takes precidence over a "drivers" sponsor.

I dont think it works the other way, hence James being with red bull and kaw picking up monster pretty easy that he gets his knee fixed and is out of the mess at the end of the season.

One thing for sure DMG won't screw around much with rules, they will not back down they will dictate, and teams and riders will listen, that for sure will be something that comes from Nascar.

My belief is that Jeff Gordon could get any personal sponsor he wants as long as the Team that holds his contract doesn't have a problem with it.

thats exactly my point. and i agree.

also bet it won't be as "important" for every rider to get every little sponsor he can, since likley they all we be better paid? I hope for sure that happens.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
We Had A Club Meeting Last Nite And Our Referee/ Resident Moto Dad Said That Kawasaki Let Bubba Go And That He Had Signed With Joe Gibbs Mx. Can Anyone Confirm That??? I Checked All The Sources I Could Think Of, But No Confirmation As Such. I'm Dying To Know. That Should Put A Real Big Cramp In Chad Reeds Side!!!!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
D.LEATHERS said:
We Had A Club Meeting Last Nite And Our Referee/ Resident Moto Dad Said That Kawasaki Let Bubba Go And That He Had Signed With Joe Gibbs Mx. Can Anyone Confirm That??? I Checked All The Sources I Could Think Of, But No Confirmation As Such. I'm Dying To Know. That Should Put A Real Big Cramp In Chad Reeds Side!!!!
That's the gist of what I had heard but being 4th hand I had I labeled it just rumor. Time will tell.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
That popped up about a month ago, given the absolute lack of follow up firestorm I'd guess it's much ado about nothing. I imagine Gibbs will make a strong play for James once his contract expires.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Plus Gibbs has a tiny connection with cars and James has mentioned he wanted to go in that direction eventually. I wonder if the rumors about him quiting bikes and racing cars came about because of the connection with Gibbs. I wouldn't doubt it.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Micahdawg said:
Is This Kind Of Yelling?
No, THIS IS. :nener:

I think what you saw was a way to cover all the bases just in case you didn't know where the sentence was suppose to begin or end...you can mix and match :laugh:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
RM_guy said:
No, THIS IS. :nener:

I think what you saw was a way to cover all the bases just in case you didn't know where the sentence was suppose to begin or end...you can mix and match :laugh:
it's one of those automatic editor things for when someone types in all caps

Top Bottom