dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by mxer842
when you set comprable lap times to carmichael on a bike with 15hp disadvantage i think it is safe to say that you are faster. he has the speed to walk the class, but the maturity may not be there just yet.

Well, I'd have to say a lot depends on the track.  There are some tracks where not even Bubba can make up a major power defecit to the 250 class leaders.  There were times last year where RC had faster laps than Bubba. 

On the other hand, Bubba is not the first rider to have 125 lap times that would put him at or near the front of the 250 class. 

Shoot, when Brown, Langston and Pastrana were duking it out for the outdoor title in '01, the only 250 riders regularly running faster were RC and Windham.  They were doing race laps 5+ seconds faster than the midpack 250's and equal or better than LaRocco and Ferry.  BTW, I dont' think Brown, Langston or Pastrana have ever won a 250 SX or national.

Yeah, Bubba's great, but he might not go much if any faster on a 250.  Too bad we don't get to find out until '05.  :(

Until somebody can take a title from RC, he is the man.  There's a long list of 125 SX champs that were touted to be the next big thing.  To date, the only two that have lived up to the hype are McGrath & RC. 

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
well i agree with you there, but bubba is always within a few seconds of rc's lap times not, and at a handful of races last year he had faster laptimes. we will see in 05.

budds creek fastest lap times:
tim ferry: 2:21
james stewart: 2:20
Red bud:
kevin windham: 2:31
james stewart: 2:36
unadilla:
chad reed: 2:08
james stewart: 2:13
washougal:
kevin windham: 2:20
james stewart: 2:23
millvile:
ricky carmichael: 2:14
james stewart: 2:16
binghamton:
kevin windham: 2:13
james stewart: 2:15
steel city fastest laptimes:
kevin windham: 2:29
james stewart: 2:32
if bubba were to ride his 125 in the nationals he would podium in half the races(based on lap times), this kid is for real. he may not jump onto a 250 and waste the class right off the bat but he will run away with many championships, with or without rc there.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Mike Byrne was hurt and needed re-constructive surgery too his shoulder, leaving Kawi w/out a 250 rider for now.. He may be back for Anaheim 1..

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Looks to me lap times don't mean sh!t, I was also at red bud and windum was fast on the first lap than couldn't keep it up right and RC smoked him in race one and I can't remember what happened in race two other than RC had a big lead at the end.

JBS this, JBS that, whatever, until he wins a few 250 titles by beating RC he ain't the man. "To be the man, you got to beat the man" Rick Flair

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
If he really races the 125 class it's a clear cut case of SANDBAGGING! If the AMA dork's let him race that class they should make him start a lap down from the rest of the field and I don't doubt that he would still win the title.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I think RC is a sandbagger. Sheesh, send him off to Europe. At least there he will race against Everts who has won in every class and the ISDE.

I mean, you have RC who won 24 straight moto's by a LARGE margin yet he is still in the 250 class. He needs to move on to something else so we can see those that don't have the skill battling for 1st.

BTW, all of that is sarcastic. Bubba is only 17. Bubba has only been a pro for 2 years and he has crashed himself out of 2 chances for championships. Once in his rookie SX season and last year before the outdoors. Seems to me he has a lot of learning to do unless he wants his KX250 to take a scoop out of his hip like RC's did!

Just b/c he shows amazing speed does not mean he has all that he needs to compete in the 250 class on a consistent basis.

What he is doing is best for him and his career.

Ivan

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
This would have been a good year for Carmichael to have gone to europe as he could have possibly won all three classes.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
actually the most impressive thing was at steel city where DAVID A GINOLFI had a lap time a good 10 seconds faster than stewart who was a good 4 seconds faster than the rest of the guys.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Was that in practice by chance?

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
it was in a moto, the guy didn't make it into the points though but that is still imnpressive, im skeptical as to whether he cut the track to let someone lap him or something.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode
I think RC is a sandbagger. Sheesh, send him off to Europe. At least there he will race against Everts who has won in every class and the ISDE.

I mean, you have RC who won 24 straight moto's by a LARGE margin yet he is still in the 250 class. He needs to move on to something else so we can see those that don't have the skill battling for 1st.

BTW, all of that is sarcastic. Bubba is only 17. Bubba has only been a pro for 2 years and he has crashed himself out of 2 chances for championships. Once in his rookie SX season and last year before the outdoors. Seems to me he has a lot of learning to do unless he wants his KX250 to take a scoop out of his hip like RC's did!

Just b/c he shows amazing speed does not mean he has all that he needs to compete in the 250 class on a consistent basis.

What he is doing is best for him and his career.

Ivan

Ive got to agree with Ivans' comments about Bubba.

Also; even though you were being sarcastic about RC racing in Europe, it's still not a bad point. When you win time after time, why not try a new challenge and race in Europe. Or try racing a 450 thumper just to spice things up a bit. I'm sure RC wouldn't have any problems.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
haha, rc racing supermoto. that would be hilarious. his bike set up on a supermoto bike, haha.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Hmmmmm...Yeah..RC wasn't on that list very much.

Yes it is odd...Because RC had the fastest laptime at almost every race except for a couple where windham had a really fast pace...Stewarts times would have landed him 30 seconds back at the end of the race....RC also would be the only one that could maintain within a few seconds of his fastest lap during the entire race....

We've seen many riders that were considered to be the next big star only to fade and just become another guy on the starting line in the 250 class...

I don't think Stewart would walk the 250 class....YES, he's very fast on a 125....He's possibly the next big thing...but.....Maybe 5th place in the 250 class if he didn't fall....It's one thing to win against Travis Preston or broc sellards....It's a whole different story when you're on the starting line with the big boys. We're talking guys that can do 20 laps on a very difficult supercross track and be virtually mistake free while pushing it and going for the lead in tight racing conditions.
Stewart needs 1 more year.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
actually i think that those lap times prove that rc isn't the fastest rider on the track, he is just in amazing shape.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
The question I have about RC...actually any one is HOW long can he keep the intensity and focus. It is amazing how long he has to this point. I think focus will beat him before Bubba does.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
he has been holding this intensity up since he was racing mini's and he hasn't slowed down yet. racing is what he does, i don't see him slowing down from focus i see the competition getting faster.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by weimedog
The question I have about RC...actually any one is HOW long can he keep the intensity and focus. It is amazing how long he has to this point. I think focus will beat him before Bubba does.

It's amazing...But RC is still pretty young...Actually, he could probably not push as hard and still win the outdoors...He is so far above and beyond everyone else in the outdoors it's rediculous...He's won an outdoor title every year since he turned pro...It boggles the mind...But....RC is THAT good. I've never seen this kind of domination...Someone that is not only dominant indoors but dominant outdoors...

I think RC's indoor skills are better than MC's outdoor skills....MC was a formidable outdoor competitor but he was overweighted with his ability in Supercross...RC's outdoor dominance has eclipsed MC's indoor dominance by a substantial margin. Although RC will still have to win another 4 indoor titles to match MC...I'm not so sure that it will happen...Although, when MC was 23 I believe that he did have 3 SX titles, just like RC...

Overall, when you consider the records, RC is the best rider ever to date.

MC was always my favorite...There was nothing like him on an indoor track...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Overall, when you consider the records, RC is the best rider ever to date.
I beg to differ. Records don't mean everything. You have to take into account quality of competition. Others are just now stepping up to RC's level, while most prior champs were fighting pretty hard for their titles.

I still contend that Hannah, records or not, is still the greatest MXer ever. So bite me.

The Greatest

Last edited:
Top Bottom