zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
MXA info/or take on JBS.
http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/detail.asp?id=970
Just posting the info ... :flame:

The hottest rumor out of the winter test sessions is that James Stewart has changed his mind about racing the KX250F and has returned to his trusty KX125 two-stroke (leaving Paul Carpenter as Team Kawasaki's only in house four-stroke guy).

Meanwhile over at Team Pro Circuit, Kawasaki's official 125 team, Mitch Payton says that he will leave the two-stroke or four-stroke choice up to Tedesco, Roncada, Walker and Sorby (although he is pretty sure that two of his four riders will be on each type).

AS FOR STEWART'S CHOICE

Everybody in the sport knows that James Stewart should be racing in the 250 Supercross class and 250 Nationals, not the 125 East and 125 Nationals (everybody but Team Kawasaki). There is no doubt that Stewart will win the two 125 classes or that he will be able to set the record for the most 125 National wins by a rider--but there is also no doubt that Brett Favre could lead Hamilton High School to the Division 3 football championship. The 125 class is not a challenge of any shape or fashion for Stewart--it's like shooting ducks in a pond.

Stewart will have very few chances to face down Ricky Carmichael head-to-head while they are both at the top of their game. Ricky might not be around for James to beat--if James keeps waiting to step up to the big leagues.
And, according to sources inside Team Honda, Honda has not offered RC the new two-year contract that he wants--probably because they want to wait and see what happens in 2004 (and when Stewart's Kawasaki contract expires).

Most racers know that the most important thing about racing, is not whether you won, but how worthy the competition was.

If Stewart waits around in the 125 class, until Carmichael retires or slips off his current level, Stewart will never be able to say that he beat Ricky up-and-up.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
RC is 23, he should be on top of his game for many more years to come.

I think if i was bubba id probably race the 250 class up until the 125 east rounds start.

But as a fan i want to see him race the 250 class fulltime, hes sandbagging in the 125 class.

Last edited:

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
he doesn't have a choice about what class to race, kawasaki gives him the bikes he races and as such they have all the power to decide what class he races. im sure bubba would love to "stick it to the man" but kawasaki wants more championships. there is no dening that with the entire off season of practice on a 250 he would surely walk the 250 class as well. he already has the fastest laptimes on a 125 against rc at half the races. it just isn't in his hands as to which class he races. so quit bitching about bubba racing 125's next year, kawasaki just wants more records.

crmx91

Dec 4, 2002
I think James should stay in the 125 class. It's his life, his decision, and he's decided to stay on 125's.. live with it! Stop trying to live someone else's life. The competition he's racing agains are the top guys in the world, if they cant hang, that's their own fault. How can someone sandbag a pro class? That's just stupid for you to say.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Us Colorado guys are smart. Yea Kawi tells bubba what to do thats why he didn't go Pro Circuit. Yea! and when every one was jumping on RC for droping down to get the 125 record he HAD to because kawi wanted the record not RC. The bottom line is Bubba is a sand bagger who will not ride the MXdN's. Booo Bubba Booo. Bubba is the KING cherry picker!!!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
rat turns into a troll...

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Sorry mxer 842, he's right, some times i can't help myself. It's only cool to call old guys sandbaggers not bubba. And it's definitely not cool to Booo no mater who they are. Sorry man I'll look for 842 at the races, I'm 702.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Kawasaki wants to sell bikes, end of story. It doesn't really have anything to do with what Bubba wants. His face sells bikes, believe it or not, and they want his face on a certain bike. I'm sure the competitor in him would rather ride in the 250 class. If you want a bad guy to lynch go after the CEOs of Kawasaki. Otherwise, give it a rest.

Since people like making predictions in here:
After reading that article I consulted with my crystal ball... It was the start of the 2005 season and I saw Bubba racing in the 250 class on a red bike??? :eek:

WhKnuckle

May 14, 2003
"RC is 23, he should be on top of his game for many more years to come."

Nope, RC's been a full-time "pro" since he was 10 or so, he's won more races than anyone in history, and there's nothing left to do. He'll slow down within two years and won't be winning championships if he's racing at all. NOBODY can will himself to keep up his schedule when there's nothing left to do, not even RC. If Bubba wants to race RC while RC still cares, this year is the only year to do that.

BTW, I think that Kawasaki doesn't want Bubba to race RC because they're not convinced Bubba would win. Having fast lap times and beating the most determined, toughest, fastest rider in the world are two different things. If Bubba got soundly beaten by RC, it would sting just as bad as RC leaving them in the first place. Better to see if Bubba can lap the 125 field.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Kawi probably doesn't want Bubba too ride 250's cause if he did win a 250 title, his price tag will be even higher..

I think RC being the competitor that he is, if the competition is there, that is all the more reason too keep racing..
RIck

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
are you srac or rmxa super rat?

bubba clearly has the speed to waste ricky. anyone can tell you that, the facts of the matter are that kawasaki has the most talented rider ever to swing a leg over a mx bike. period. they know he could beat ricky, but they also know that he is a shoein to win any 125 championship he enters and they love making ads about championships. he is 17, only a few years ago he was racing 80's, give him another year before he jumps in with the big boys.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I race both, I took last year off, but am going to do a few of the winter races at aztec.

Waste RC? So they should give bubba the Crown and tell RC to go home.Bubba has a LONG LONG LONG way to go before he is in RC's league. Bubba is fast but if he had RC covered I would think he would be going after the premier title 250SX. If its all about selling bikes why would Kawasaki want their best rider to be at only half of the SX races in a support class?

And those are the guys that just happen to be old. If Huges is a cherry picker what does that make Bubba? Come on you saw some races this year right? Hey it's bubbas career and I wish him the best but I don't belive that Kawasaki is telling him what races he can race(MXdN's) and what class he has to ride. I mean the kid told Kawasaki, before he won any races, that he was not going to ride for mitch. That sounds like a guy that is calling the shots to me.I'll bet that Bubba could make Kawasaki stop making their bikes green if he wanted.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by mxer842
are you srac or rmxa super rat?

bubba clearly has the speed to waste ricky. anyone can tell you that, the facts of the matter are that kawasaki has the most talented rider ever to swing a leg over a mx bike. period. they know he could beat ricky, but they also know that he is a shoein to win any 125 championship he enters and they love making ads about championships. he is 17, only a few years ago he was racing 80's, give him another year before he jumps in with the big boys.

Uhh....No one knows how well Bubba will do in racing conditions against the best in the world on a 250.....I'm sorry, but Bubba hasn't been racing against what I'd call good competiton in the 125 class...I mean, Travis Preston in the sx ? Actually, most of the top guys in the 125 class right now have been there for a very long time with the exception of bubba...These guys are in the 125 class because they don't have the speed to make it in the 250's..I mean, how long is mike brown going to continue racing 125's ? Broc sellards ? I wouldn't call what bubba is doing cherry picking...

The thing is that bubba faces somewhat of a paradox...On one hand, he can easily win the 125 class...On the other hand he's still very young and has no fear of falling (per stewart himself) and will problably run into serious issues with an all out attack against the much more formidable competition he would inevitably face in the 250 class in 2004.

I honestly don't think that Bubba has the maturity to waste top 250 competiton...He will most likely go through a learning curve..How long that learning curve will be no one knows...His lap times are fast and close to the 250's but that doesn't necessarily mean he can just jump in and beat everyone on a 250.

Bubba needs 1 more year in the 125's....That would give him a chance at one more 125 supercross championship for a total of 2 (just like windham, McGrath, and RC) and a chance at another outdoor title in the 125's (remember he couldn't win it this year because his over anxiousness at the last supercross ? 250's would be that much worse).

In this game rushing it too fast can end a career...

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
of course, bubba has the speed to walk the 250 class, his lap times prove that. i agree with you though that he may not have the intelligence to match wits with rc on a track.speed isn't going to bubbas problem, it is going to be his knowing when to pin it and when not to.

what class do your race rat?

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Walk the 250 class, please, he might be a top 5 rider his first year, but not smoke the field. The top two guys he is beating now in the 125's wouldn't make the top 5 and probly not the top ten in the 250's. He should stay one more year on a 125, then go for it on the 250's.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Okie thats harsh, i think they would be around the top 5-after 5th i dont see that many guys that seem to have there hearts in the job.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
If they were wouldn't they be there.

the following I would argue are consistently faster than the above mentioned two.

RC
CR
Ferry
DV
Lusk
The Rock

And the following would and could beat them when healthy

Fonsaca
Tortelli
Roncada

There's 9 I think that could beat them, not every week, but consistently. I guess top ten was a little strong, but it would be tough. Throw JBS in they don't make the top ten.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Per the AMA page, last time Ryno raced a full 250SX season, he was 10th for the year. That was '98.  He was also 10th in '97.  His best 250SX season was 4th in '96, and he got 2nd in the 125 West in'95.

Outdoors, Ryno's last attempt at the AMA 250 title resulted in 10th place in '98, and he was 8th in '96.  Ryno almost won the '95 125 outdoor title.

Langston's SX career has been less than stellar - 4th 125 West in '01.

IMO, Bubba should race with the elite 250 class in '04 and leave the 125s to the kids and the vets. 

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
when you set comprable lap times to carmichael on a bike with 15hp disadvantage i think it is safe to say that you are faster. he has the speed to walk the class, but the maturity may not be there just yet.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by Camstyn
I get the strange sensation of Deja Vu, like I've seen this thread a hundred times before.. :silly:

Whoa. :eek: My crystal ball told me you'd say that. :confused:

Top Bottom