Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2004
i have a friend with a '03 WR250F. She was previously riding a CR125. Well... heres the story.

My friend had CR125, which she took care of. She always changed the oil, cleaned the filter, and adjusted the chain herself. Well, time comes for her to get a new bike. So she decided, on my advice, to get a WR250F, which is a great mount for her because of the electric start and smooth power, but all the amenities of a REAL bike (full suspension, good motor, pretty quick). So everythings working out fine. Shes had the bike for about 9 months now. She rides maybe once or twice a month. Well, her bike wouldnt start, so i told her id take a look at it.

So i figure, hell, ill check the "easy" stuff first. mind you, i ride a two smoke. I go to check the spark plug. a freakin half hour later, after saying enough curses to make a sailor cringe, i get that stupid, annoying, unobtainable spark plug out of the head. WTF! does yamaha expect you to like.. cut the frame every time u change the plug?! and why do they use such random bolts? philips head on the body panels? WTF? @#%@$%

anywayysss... back to the story. So its got spark. (i was pretty pissed at that, all that work and the plug had nothing to do wtih it) so i put it back. and i crank it over. and over. and over and over. nothing. doesnt feel like it has compression. so im thinking its her auto-decomp. Do a compression test and we are reading 65psi. hmm.. dump a cap full of oil in the head. 110psi. 112psi. and falling. well i didnt want to rip the valve covers off, cause thats some surgery. so i figure, well.. ****, ill change her oil. well i check the dip stick. its bone dry. im talking untouched, unstained, bleached bone dry. hmm...

"hey leish- how often do u change the oil in your frame?"

"theres oil in the frame?"

"....."

"Well how am i supposed to know that, nobody told me that"

"You have an owners manual.. ever.. bah, nevermind"

so i change the oil, and pull the filters. good size metal shavings in their. shes never changed them, not even for break in, so this bikes hurting. i swap the oil out for some fresh stuff, clean the filters best i can (im not buying new ones for her) and use the air compressor to back blast them. stick them back in there. open the valve covers to check everything. believe it or not, everything looks brand new. untouched even. i didnt check any clearances, but the bearings, and cam looks perfect. the cam chain wasnt stretched in the least bit. auto decomp was fine (there goes my theory) put the valve cover back on and fill the bike with oil.

put all the body work back on the bike. go to turn on the petcock and notice fuel pouring out of the over flow. wtf? i trace it back to this little screw that lets you drain the fuel bowl. tighten the screw until it stops leaking, and kick the bike. bleh. i go screw this, and pop start the bike. it bogs BAD but understandably with two cap fulls of oil in the chamber. ride it pretty wide open to clear it out and it runs pretty good now. runs better then before (wouldnt start :laugh: ) but it seems to have a little gurgle coming from the airbox. not a back fire, but definetly a gurgle. also, every once in a while it goes "PSSHTT" out the exhaust when riding it. i dont know what that is, but the more it gets ridden, the better it seems to get. just a matter of cleaning that oil out.

i think the valves need to be adjusted (thats never been done either...sheesh) anyone know where i can bring this thing to do that? also.. and ideas what to do to clear out all the metal shavings from the oil lines ect? opinions of this bike?

im tired, so this whole post might be a bit incoherent, have patience

WRFRK

Apr 1, 2004
Well I can only respond to one piece of your post, and this is not a critique by any means. However, if the WR250F is like the WR400F then 'I believe' the bike has to be warm before you can check the oil or you won't get a reading, that's just the way it is. As for the rest I don't know what to tell you.....good luck and it sounds like she has a good friend!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
WRFRK said:
However, if the WR250F is like the WR400F then 'I believe' the bike has to be warm before you can check the oil or you won't get a reading, that's just the way it is.

That's correct. The 250F has a dry sump oiling system like the 4xx models.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Yes, the dry sump caused me a mild heart attack when I checked the oil before I had run the engine shortly after I got my WR. Pulled the stick "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" no oil!!!! I didn't even think about it, quickly drained and checked the amount, and it was the correct amount for the system....then it slowly dawned on me that it wouldn't show on the stick if the engine hasn't been run prior to checking. Maybe if I would have read the manual......

Mar 3, 2004
i see... well, thats good to know, she did say she put "1 and a half" quarts into the casing.. but i was thinking maybe it was blowing out of the breather for the crankcase before it made its way to the frame. anyhow, do u think those two cap fulls of oil will be a problem? or will it burn out easily enough. Do u think her rings are absolutely screwed? what about those shavings? any idea on how to clear them out of the system? 50/50mix of oil and detergent and run it on a stand (zero load) and then drain immediately? thats how we do it with the two stroke trannys..

also, those bikes are a REAL pain in the ass to work with. why did yamaha feel it necissary to put a massive array of different size bolts? my kawi uses 8 for the body, 10's for anything important, and 14mm for large parts (tripple clamps, suspension) and 16 for the drain. simple. none of that stupid philips head bs. wwhhaatteevveerrr im happy i got my KTM :thumb: yet to work on it though

WRFRK

Apr 1, 2004
Closet Case Nerd said:
also, those bikes are a REAL pain in the ass to work with. why did yamaha feel it necissary to put a massive array of different size bolts?
The answer is simple... So men who love tools can justify buying them...LOL :yeehaw:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Closet Case Nerd said:
stupid yamaha. :)

You might want to hold off judgement till you have to work on that KTM :ohmy: You'll be doing this :worship: in the direction of Japan after digging into a KTM four-stroke. ;)

Mar 3, 2004
ahem. let me rephrase that.

stupid yamaha fourstroke. :laugh:

i bought a KTM 2 smoke :moon: but if your happy with your coughinferiorcough blue bikes, thats all that matters. now as for my KTM, it makes me HAPPIER then wrenching on that damn yamaha. :thumb:

just ribbing you a bit. hehe you should have seen how mad she was getting at her boyfriend, he was ragging on her so bad.

"So...when you start it up does it cough and die, oh..wait..."
"Shuddap dean"
"So...does it start acting up after it gets hot? or is the problem immediate...oh wait..."
"shut the hell up dean"
"SSOOoooo.... when its running, does smell funny? like burning?...oh WAIT.."
"@#$%#^%&#% *punch* #$%@@#$% *kick* $%^#$% *fire and brimstone*

haha.. women. :p

WRFRK

Apr 1, 2004
Closet Case Nerd said:
ahem. let me rephrase that.

stupid yamaha fourstroke. :laugh:

i bought a KTM 2 smoke :moon: but if your happy with your coughinferiorcough blue bikes, thats all that matters. now as for my KTM, it makes me HAPPIER then wrenching on that damn yamaha. :thumb:

just ribbing you a bit. hehe you should have seen how mad she was getting at her boyfriend, he was ragging on her so bad.

"So...when you start it up does it cough and die, oh..wait..."
"Shuddap dean"
"So...does it start acting up after it gets hot? or is the problem immediate...oh wait..."
"shut the hell up dean"
"SSOOoooo.... when its running, does smell funny? like burning?...oh WAIT.."
"@#$%#^%&#% *punch* #$%@@#$% *kick* $%^#$% *fire and brimstone*

haha.. women. :p
Dude, you need to lighten up on the Yamaha's man! This is afterall the Yamy forum and we here love our bike's. Plus we did not have to donate a testicle to get one. Sure I'd ride a KTM in a heartbeat if I were rich.....

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
WRFRK said:
. . . I'd ride a KTM in a heartbeat if I were Rich.....
I'm not Rich and I ride a KTM. And from what I hear, Rich won't ride one, and he's Rich.

now I'm cornfoozled . . . :eek:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
And from what I hear, Rich won't ride one, and he's Rich.

I'll ride them I just wouldn't OWN one, unless of course I was Pred, and really rich, but I really am Rich but not Pred. HMMMMM, now I'm confused.

Screw it, I'm just going to ride my CRF and think about it for a while ;)

WRFRK

Apr 1, 2004
XRpredator said:
I'm not Rich and I ride a KTM. And from what I hear, Rich won't ride one, and he's Rich.

Let me rephraze.... "if I had a nut to spare".

Mar 3, 2004
im just busting yur chops about the yamaha thing. i like yamaha for what they have done to further the flavors available to the riders. before the YZ400, 2 stroke was the only way to go. now we have thumpers, which are great rides, just not my kinda ride. My KTM didnt cost a testicle.. or any sexual favors even! i got an '04 200SX for $4999. had it shipped to my door in the crate. love it to death. the quality amazes me, along with the laundry list of awesome parts.

i do have another question about the WR250F though. i just did the "free" mods to her bike, removing the baffle, and cutting the grey wire. i just want to make sure, there are no other grey wires (solid grey) by the CDI box correct? I found it and cut it at the connector/plug. seemed to make a big difference, along with removing the baffle, but now it wont idle down low. i think its because it needs that valve job, but that sucker just dies on me if i dont keep the RPMs up and after it does, it wont start unless i pop start it. seems to be running a bit hot too. whatcha think? im thinking the baffle made it run too lean because its breathing better, and that combined with it being in need of a valve job is making it hard to start. am i on the right track?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Closet Case Nerd said:
im thinking the baffle made it run too lean because its breathing better, and that combined with it being in need of a valve job is making it hard to start. am i on the right track?

Until you check the valve clearances and do a leakdown test you won't know for sure.

I had a 250F in the shop the other day that had over 30% leakage at the intake valves and was a hard starter boardering on no start at all.

If the valves are hammered it's in your best interest not to ride it until you fix it. The valve heads on the 250Fs have the unfortunate habit of breaking off and lunching the engine when they get to much time on them.

If the valve clearance really has never been checked, then it should be done before you go any further.

Last edited:

WRFRK

Apr 1, 2004
Closet Case Nerd said:
.....wtf. lol. is there or is there NOT only one grey wire?
OK, well it looks like you really want an answer so I'll give ya my 2cents. If it's still running you probably cut the right wire!

Mar 3, 2004
sorry, not trying to be pushy, im just worried. cause its my friends bike, not mine, ya know? but yea it runs, it just wont idle at all. i dont know if thats due to the baffle being removed and her needing her valves done, or because i cut the wrong wire and maybe it messed with her TPS or something. i dunno. so, there is only one right?

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I had a 99 250sx KTM. The workmanship and attention to detail was awesome. So were the parts prices when I did an overhaul. I paid $130.00 for two main bearings and two oil seals. I paid $45.00 for three case gaskets. I traded it in on my 250f, and never looked back. $13.00 dollars apiece for the little "D-Zus" airbox cover fasteners....Geesh..........:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom