Building a Bike Stand

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
I have been wanting to build a wooden bike stand and I was wondering if anybody knew where to find any plans for making one. I am sure I could come up with something myself but having some plans would be great. What do most of you guys use when working on your bikes?

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Here are the complete instructions.
1: Get in car
2: Drive to local WalMart
3: Go to hosewares section
4: Pick up Rubbermain two step stool
5: Plunk down 12.00
6: Enjoy strong, reliable, light bike stand for the next ten years or so.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I have a steel wire milk crate that I screwed (2) 2' - 2"x 4" to.

It works great.

Cost about $4.00

Jim

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
That rubbermaid 2 step stool is also available at K-Mart. I modified mine to have a drawer between the steps to hold parts and tools while working. I'd sent a photo but the stand got ripped off some time ago out of my truck.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
That's the one. Like I suggested earlier, while at the store, look for one of those clear plastic drawers that are stackable to fit between the steps. It provides a great spot to put loose parts and tools while wrenching. Also, get a chunk of indoor/outdoor carpeting or some thick rubber like an old front door mat to attach to the top. That plastic is a bit slick and the bike, if not properly positioned can slide off while wrenching on the thing.

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
Follow this link to see some of the stands I built over the winter. http://photos.yahoo.com/gn83tm They are made out of 16ga stainless and work well. It's nice to have neat equipment at work :)

My buddy has built quite a few out of plywood and they work quite well also. There's a pic of one at the link above under the album "Mark's Bike". There's a couple of advantages to his homebuilts: 1) You can turn them upside down and use them to haul your oil, goggles, air gauge, etc to the races. 2) They're less likely to get stolen at the races or when out riding than an aluminum or sst stand would be.

I don't know if he has any documented plans for these but I can check.

CanadianMike

May 23, 2004
Nice Pics gm83tm

Wow!

Nice looking bike there gn83tm! Can you give me a run-down on what mods you have done? Were did you get your side panel decals from?? My knee protectors always seem to chew mine up - do you "pinch" your bike with your knees when you you ride.......

Cheers!
Mike :)

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
Thanks Mike, They always do look good when they're new, The bike doesn't look quite like that now but it's still quite nice after a summer of riding and racing, The Hot Wheels graphics are N-Style and the number plates are One Industries.

The bike itself is probably one of a kind. It's a 2003 KX125 chassis that I put my 1990 KDX200 engine in. There's lots of hours in it but thanks to this forum and Jeff Fredette it's turned out to be a great bike. Others on this forum have also done some of these hybrids and Fredette has built a few. To my knowledge though, this is the only one built on the '03 and up chassis. As far as listing the mods - the list of what hasn't been done is a lot shorter so if you have any specific questions just ask.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…