Building the Ultimate Legal Dual Sport?

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Its getting harder and harder to try and sneak even your 4 stroke WR type bikes past DOT to put them on the road. Japan sees no need to fill the gap of the serious off roader looking to be legal for events, races, and general exploration. DRZ 400s eing the best stock option IMHO. But what if, just what if we look to the past to build a better LEGAL dual sport bike?
Here is the idea.
Pick up a thrashed RZ 350 bike with a title. $500 - $800 maybe?
Tear it down and make the motor work good, maybe even hack a Banshee for the pure joy of destroying a quad to make a bike for a change!
Shove some older bone yard YZ forks on it maybe and make it work with the street wheels AND the YZ wheel.
Find a way to mount a new swing arm and suspension on the back, say 90 YZ doner bike from bone yard or someting. Get a YZ sub frame grafted on the back and maybe even YZ seat and tank?
Make all the lights work.
Get it plated and inspected, Hey, its a street legal 2 cyl 2 stroke after all right?
Get the knobs on the front and back and have at it!
What do ya think? Maybe for $2500 I could have a Rippin street legal 1984 Dual sport, light weight, super powerfull, and with a fair suspension or better?
Anyone ever herd of anyting like this?
Call it ,,, the YRZ maybe?

RedWingDS

Sep 23, 2003
jason it is possible to make a 2stroke street legal as i said to you the other day on the phone . or maybe we spoke about your WR.
IMHO i think its much easier and cost effective to get a current bike and convert it . once my KX is rebuilt i will make it street legal :)
ill just love seeing the faces on people as i pull up to the local WaWa parked next to the local police with my KX250 plated .
i dont plan to ride it on the street just ride it around everyonce in a while to make people scratch their heads wondering "where does he get all those wonderfull toys" as quoted by Nicholson himself.;)
i just want to woods ride sometimes with out the BRP lounge chair. but i still like to ride the BRP-L on the hot summer days on the street sometimes and for the times i really dont feel like trailering a bike just to ride in my secret little spot in the woods

keep me in mind J if you would like to convert the WR to be truly legal.

Red

"Dirt Biking Good Clean Fun"
redwingds@msn.com

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
My WR dose not have a cert of origin = No title :( . Dude I it off was supposed to send it when my check cleared but never did!!!! I do have a copy of it he faxed to me though to prove it was legit.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Send him a legal document requesting it asap.

Yes, you can get a two stroke on the street, I have a Street legal Gas Gas Pampera, and my brother a street legal KDX200. Person8 has a killer KTM520EXC.

There are a couple of companies which offer stator rewinding and dual sport kits. http://www.bajadesigns.com

I would think the ultimate dual sport would be a KDX500, or CR500AF :)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
You are correct about one thing Bundabasher - the KX500 turned street legal is the ultimate!! I have been riding my "legal" KDX500 now for almost a year. I have well over 6000 miles on it in that time and have had it all over the state of Michigan both on and off trail. Here in Michigan it is not that difficult to streetorize an MXer. The biggy is the Stator ( $90 - cheap from Electrex) mounting - on the KX5 you have to do a little cheating on the plate to mount it. Most of the other "goodies" are very accessable thru E-Bay.. My most used add on is my kickstand :) It is REAL fun running down the highway and getting doubletakes from kids on crotch rockets when you nail it and pull away from them on the back wheel :) It is AWESOME being able to ride the big MXer ANYWHERE ANYTIME fully plated and insured!!
Jason: GO FOR IT on the bike idea!!! You will NEVER be happy until you build your own bike!! Just make sure we get a pic or 2 when your done!!
Woodsy

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
JasonJ,
Yamaha actually has already built such a bike although it wasn't sold in the US. It was called the TDR, here's a pic I took of one at the Supermoto races a few years ago.--Dan

Attachments

• tdr.jpg
    tdr.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Just when you think we (in the US) have it all, someone will come along and REALLY make you realize how wrong that is.....
WAY COOL Acutemp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We need to clean out some "greenies" and reopen our doors to some of that AWESOME contriban! Like that might happen - NOT!!! Shoot, we cant even ride without a helmet in Michigan..... Oh well, I guess ol Woodsy needs to be more thankful for what he can have :)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Thanks for that link Bundu. I've been looking at DSing my KDX. But dang, $420, thats way over my budget. Thats how much my first car will cost.:) I'll have to find some used parts off some dualsport bikes somewhere. I hate the plate mount because it hangs down and looks screwy. You can put the plate between two pieces of plexiglass and a screw in each corner and mount it on a enduro fender. It has to be visable from behind though. It works on a DR350 but the tail lights are different so it might not work. Thanks anyway.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
check out http://www.electrexusa.com/electrex_dakar_2003a.html they have a pretty neat, all in one unit - looks really cool.

My brother has the baja designs kit on his kdx including the bd headlight - the bike looks kickass cool.

My Pamp, what can I say, has an OEM kit, looks similar to the BD kit but has hebo plastic. The only thing I take off when I hit the dirt is the mirror ! :)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Cool. I'm digging the standard plate mount but I wish the signals were on it like the optional one. OK lets see Kawasaki.....KDX200.......price......N/A?, whats that suposed to mean? I bet its $519 like every other one. Neat that its all one piece. Not a lot of wiring either. I see it has a key, that still works on a kick starter right? Only thing is you have to have a KX fender. I'd like to have the KDX fender. The new CRF250X fenders are almost identical to a MX fender besides a tiny little tail light. Maybe some one makes a green one. Well my lights don't work anyway so I guess I don't need them. Maybe in the future(not until I get a truck) because it would be my only means of transportation. Not to fun in the rain or snow. Thanks, I should put that on my christmas list. Yeah right.:silly:

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I've been surfing and check this out. Don't ask me how to make a link though. Use copy and paste.

http://4strokesonly.com/DSParts.html

Oh, and forget the part about 4 strokes only. For some reason they stock KDX too.:silly: Scroll down and check out the license plate holder or paste this in your address bar.

http://4strokesonly.com/LicensePlateHolder.html

For $24 not a bad deal except if you hooked it on something. Doesn't look to sturdy but thats all I want if I can make it legal with ad-ons like these and save money at the same time. I'll probably just wait and get a kit like you mentioned above because it sure looks a heck of a lot nicer.

Top Bottom