Bulletproof Fiberglass Fairings... literally.

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
Bulletproof Fiberglass Fenders... literally.

I was throwing around the idea of creating a mold out of the fenders I have now for my '02 CR250, and I've come up with an idea.

I want to create fiberglass fenders, which are very strong, however, shatter when hit with a lot of force, rather than bend like plastics do. Fiberglass is used for car bodies, boat hulls, and many other things, so it's definitely strong.

Fiberglass would be easier to clean, won't get scratched as easily, and can be painted and clear coated. I could also do some carbon fiber overlays to strengthen it more, and give it a great look.

Now... how to make it stronger.. ?
I'd use bulletproof ballistics level 1 fiberglass cloth.

That means your fenders would be able to take up to 3 shots fired of 9mm full metal copper jacket bullets with lead core at 1293 fps... or 882mph.

or

5 shots of .22 long rifle high velocity lead bullets, fired at 1050 fps... or 716 mph.

Plenty strong enough to withstand any falls.

So... the question is... would you pay around $500 for a full carbon fiber, bullet proof set of fenders, shipped?

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Why exactly would someone want a fairing on a dirt bike at any price?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'm guessing you are too young to have lived through the "fiberglass" fender days in our sport. They were horrible when they were cheap, at $500 a set only someone with a persistent mental disorder or some sort of fiscal derangement would likely come calling.

rossim22 said:
Plenty strong enough to withstand any falls.

You might want to do some research specific to this type of application and the specific loads that a fender is likely to encounter in a crash.

When carbon fiber breaks, and it will break in an application like this regardless of the strength of the base weave, the pieces that come off are pretty dangerous. Plastic fenders bend for a reason. ;)

Best of luck with your idea, but I'd suggest not quitting your day job just yet. ;)

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
Really? I've seen $300 for a carbon fiber helmet, so I figured that $500 for carbon fiber fenders on bulletproof fiberglass wasn't too bad of a deal.

It won't just snap in two like regular fiberglass would.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
rossim22 said:
It won't just snap in two like regular fiberglass would.

I'm guessing you've never owned any carbon fiber road race bike parts. They most certainly do snap in two when subjected to normal crash loads.

A wiser man than me ( DRN member SFO ) once told me, "just because you can build something, doesn't mean you should". I think his point was, don't waste time fixing what isn't broken.

It's advice I've taken to heart many times in similar situations. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
rossim22 said:
was your carbon laid on top of a bullet proof shell before it broke?

I can see this is going nowhere, so I'll offer up this last bit of advice that you can take for whatever you think it's worth.

Understanding how and when parts will fail (whether it's fenders or connecting rods) requires a clear understanding of the loads it will be subjected to, and the manner that the loads will be applied. Just because a material has attractive strength numbers on a spec sheet, doesn't necessarily mean it will perform as hoped in a specific application.

Good luck. :cool:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
This thread could get good.....

Attachments

• popcorn.jpg
    popcorn.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 245

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
thumbs said:
How many shots from a .45 Caliber 350 Grain Truncated Cone Bevel Base could it take?

Zero sir, that's level 5 ballistics material area... level 1 can't touch that.

Sorry Rich, if it appeared that I was not listening to your advice. The reason I think that it would work is that.. the reason carbon protective off road racing parts break, is that whatever they're protecting is fragile.

Carbon parts that cover pipes break because the pipe can get dented. I do not believe that any level of trail riding or motocross would cause these bulletproof fenders to break. Unless you bail a backflip 45ft in the air, I don't think they'd snap or anything.

I apologize if I was sounding sarcastic, but you were sounded condescending.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I guess you can see by the responses that the answer to your question is "no, I would not spend $500 on 'bulletproof' fenders".

I figure I can survive with the $50 sets.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
rossim22 said:
I apologize if I was sounding sarcastic, but you were sounded condescending.

I was just being honest and pointing out a few points to consider. Having built a few things in my life, my failures (and there have been many) have taught me that thinking some of these things through ahead of time can save a lot of expensive wheelspin.

I guess you ultimately got the answer to your original question from the other posters. When you can buy nearly unbreakable color matched plastic fenders for your bike for $50 a set, the market for $500 fenders is likely to be small.

For the record, when I'm being condescending you'll surely know it. ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Dirt bikes used to come with fiberglass fenders (and gas tanks). Good riddance to those days.

By the mid '70s, one of the first mods many riders made was Preston Petty plastic fenders, because the lifespan of fiberglass was about 1 hard crash.

After Petty showed the way, it was not long before almost every dirt bike had plastic fenders.

No way would I pay $500 for fenders. For that kind of coin, a rider can get a steering damper or a suspension revalve, and those things will help me go faster and crash less.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
Another thing to take into consideration.. say you fall hard, your bike flips and lands on the back fender. Well your back fender is made of crazy strong bulletproof carbon fiber, so I'm geussing its not going to flex. Where does all that force go then? Instead of your fender bending and/or braking to take the force, your carbon fiber fender would just transfer the force.. where? to your subframe. Which isn't the most durable part on your bike.. I've seen more bent/broken subframes then broken rear fenders...

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
It being bulletproof wasn't my idea of trying to make it sell. Plastics can take a hell of a lot of abuse. It being bulletproof just provides a point to make that it won't shatter like most fiberglass pieces would.

I just wanted to see what everyone would think about it, since carbon fiber helmets sell for about $250-$300 a piece, and plastics with graphics can run about $200+ for the kit.

Fiberglass, waxed and looking nice, would give the dirtbike an entirely new, smooth look, while maintaining strength. That was the idea.

Thanks for the input guys! Didn't mean to sound like a douche in the first couple of replys!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Just sounds stupid to me.. But what do I know..

I can barely see the need to replace plastics when they get bent and turn white..

Screw it, it's a dirtbike, that stuff will happen. If I have to replace my bullet proof fiberglass carbon fiber fender cause it failed horribly, I don't think I'd want to do that...

I'll take a slightly bent, unbroken plastic fender over that nightmare any day!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Lol. I skipped over this thread for a while, guess it was worth a read.

I agree with the general consensus. I'm not spending that kind of money on body parts. The point made about the damage being subjected to the next component in line is a great point. I would rather have a fender that will fold in half and absorb the shock that would otherwise bend the subframe or mounting hardware. The idea of a better finish is kinda pointless as alot of people put graphics on that cover up the majority of the visible surface. Those graphics have a glossy finish that is suprisingly resistant to scratches. For right around 200 bucks you get a complete plastic kit with graphics for almost every place on the bike as well as a seat cover.

I did see where a guy made C/F bodywork for a drz. Looks cool until you drop it.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I read an article a while back that said that plastic helmet shells are safer than the more expensive carbon fiber ones. Due to their flexibility, the plastic helmets absorb a portion of the impact (sounds familiar, huh). The best excuse for the CF lids is a reduction of neck fatigue which comes with the lighter weight. Of course, the manufacturer does have to include decent aerodynamics for that to matter.

CJR

Jun 22, 2008
I agree that market for these type of fenders is probably very small if not non exisistent. However, I like your creativity. Don't let this feedback deter your imagination. I think everyone is just giving you valuable straighforward advice. This idea may not be the one that takes off for you but you may come up with something else in the future that will.

The bow hunters in this forum can relate to the guy who invented the whisker biscuit arrow rest. Who would have ever thought that crazy looking rest would work in the beginning? Now, a very large percetage of bow hunter wouldn't go into the woods without one.

Good Luck

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I happen to have TWO carbon fiber helmets. One is a Hebo trials helmet I nought it because it was super light and after trying a plastic one that a friend let me borrow the difference in being able to quickly move my head was the deciding factor, it cost about $200. The other is a Euro market Hebo HSX off-road helmet. This was purchased by my wife as a Christmas gift because I thought it was cool and it too is very light and does indeed make it easier to move my head around quickly when riding in the woods which makes it less taxing on my neck after several hours of riding, it was a bit less than $300. So what justifies spending that kind of money on helmets and not fenders? My head is worth more. Dirt bikes crash, they get scratched and it's more important to me to have functional fenders on my bike than something that will protect me from 5 shots from a .22 and will be glossy. Honestly if they were the same price as a set of Acerbis fenders I wouldn't be interested because I too have been there and even it they are made of Kryptonite it's still not going to function as well as what is currently available.

Top Bottom