weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I am building an old 1974 Bultaco Frontera. Its in good shape and tons of fun to ride. I put a twin plug ignition system from a 1978 Pursang in this bike and haven't fowled a plug since. Has anyone ever trimmed down a flywheel to increase throttle response? After running the new stuff that heavy flywheel effect is hard to get used to.

I have a couple of extra fly wheels...

Think it would work?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm not so sure about trimming down the flywheel, but no matter what you do it'll never rev as quickly as a newer bike, you could polish the ports on it and that would gain you some, perhaps repacking the silencer or try an updated exhaust system from vintage iron.

------------------
Jeff-
'84 Can-Am ASE 250 (brutally fast rat bike)
'93 Kawasaki KDX200 (bored 40 over, FMF pipe, A-Loop suspension)

pursang262

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2000
What size primary drive weight do you have ?
The primary drive sprocket on the right side of the crank is available in a few different sizes. Usually the Pursangs have smaller ones and the weights on the trials bikes are huge.It's a cheaper part to throw in a lathe and experiment with than an ignition rotor.
Also since the crank tapers are all the same you can put the internal rotor ignition off a 125 Pursang on the bigger motors if you want really snappy response. I use my 370 Pursang for hillclimbing and I run the 125 ignition with dual plugs and the small primary weight and it responds instantly.
The downside is its much easier to stall.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
You know I didn't even look on my pursang motor.....! (Red Faced) I have a bunch of weights for Alpina's and stuff. I didn't take that side cover off the 1978 Pursang motor I pulled the ignition from. Thanks for the tip!

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Weimedog, seems to me you should first talk to someone at Hugh's Bultaco or one of the other Thumbs-up specialty shops. They can tell you exactly what needs doing and have the parts to make it happen. If you need a phone # or web site link, let me know. Still, the ol' Frontera was never a snappy motor as I recall. It was a grunty motor and actually quite competent as an enduro bike, once you took care of the minor nits and Spanish pot-metal (sorry) build quality.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

Top Bottom