OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I took a 35 mile hike about a week and a half ago. 5 miles or so in, I pulled "something" in the back of my leg behind my knee. after two more days on the trail, and coming home and resting, the inside of my knee, on the lower left part of my kneecap started to hurt pretty badly. It never swelled up or anything like often happens when people tear ACLs or something of the like, but has anyone here had a similar experience? It usually hurts when some pressure pulls the bottom of my leg away from my body, but it doesn't take much. For the most part I can walk, run, and everything if I had to, but I'm a bit concerned.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
sounds like a meniscus disk tear. i could run on mine and do other stuff for a day or two and then it would act out - that was until it floated enough to lock my knee... i then had this one surgically "trimmed" - removing the torn part.

i would get an MRI to confirm a tear (x-ray is usually meaningless in soft tissue injuries). however, don't be too hasty to have surgery to remove the damaged chunk. i waited one out a few years ago (other knee) and hiked the alps 4-months later - it will still get sore if i run on hard surfaces for over 30-min but is no where near the year intrusion that surgery is (yes even arthroscopic takes that long for a full recovery - unless it is your full time job - pro athlete)

disclaimer - while i am technically a doctor, i am not one for humans... the above is from my personal experience (some do plastic surgery as they age, i do orthopedic...) :(

Top Bottom