squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
So, I just wanted to share my woes with all of my dirtbiking pals...

Yesterday, Rooster and I went out riding so he could dial in the suspension on his YZ before we leave for Tower City this coming Friday morning. There's a small woods loop across the street from PK's house that a friend of his owns and allows us to ride on.

Saturday it rained all day, at some points during the day it came down HARD. So, when we got out there yesterday afternoon it was tacky. It wasn't too muddy or anything like that...

I am coming around a corner, a left hand S curve type corner, and I'm going at a good speed (for me) in 2nd gear. The mud, or the trees, or something, causes my front end to wash out and BOOM into the tree the bike goes and down onto the ground I go. I get up and save the bike as quickly as possible, fully realizing that I didn't hit hard so I'm okay. I managed to throw the chain, so Rooster fixes that for me.

I go to take off and as I shift into 2nd gear I hear a strange noise, so I pull off the next place there's an opening and start checking things out. The chain is pretty loose - so I figure it's chain noise. I tell Rooster and we go back to PK's house to tighten the chain.

After the chain is tightened we go back to the loop. I start off in first and then bump up into 2nd. The noise is back. Hmm... :think: I can't figure out what it is as I'm not really mechanically inclined when it comes to these bikes. I pull off and stop Rooster as he comes around. He rides the bike and reports back to me that he didn't hear anything strange or out of the ordinary. Well, okay I think, maybe a stick was stuck somewhere we didn't see and it's gone now.

Off I go again, back into 2nd gear - the sound is back AGAIN :pissed: Well by now I'm getting aggravated. So I do a few more laps, until I can't take the noise anymore, and pull off again. Rooster stops, tells me the YZ is practically out of gas so we have to go back anyway. I ask him if he took the TTR out of 1st when he rode it - of course not. So he takes it again and then gets into 2nd, and tries 3rd. The noise is 2nd gear only. He thinks I sheared a gear :| PK takes the bike for a ride over to the farm and back - he agrees.

Well - Rooster brought the bike to the shop today - and they can fix it - to the tune of $800-$1000 :yikes:

Well I have no real choice but to fix the bike - I can't sell a broken bike and even if I did I can't get as much for it as I owe on it! I love my bike anyway - so I'm getting it fixed and I'm going to keep it forever :laugh:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
squeaky said:
PK takes the bike for a ride over to the farm and back - he agrees.

:yikes: :whoa: :yikes: PK on a TTR125!?

All kidding aside, that seriously blows! But as I've found out, dirtbiking comes with a price, a hefty one at that. Good luck getting it fixed!

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Was it the TT that broke the tranny or the YZ? You could probably fix the YZ yourself for about $100-200, assuming the teeth didn't pass through too many other gears. The TT is a little harder to work on, and is not as good of a bike for a first time case splitter.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
AnnihilateYZ said:
I have the same problem with my ttr. No worries....I just stay out of 2nd. :nod:

Brilliant! Thanks! :coocoo:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
76GMC1500 said:
Was it the TT that broke the tranny or the YZ? You could probably fix the YZ yourself for about $100-200, assuming the teeth didn't pass through too many other gears. The TT is a little harder to work on, and is not as good of a bike for a first time case splitter.

It was the TTR. Case splitting is not something I don't want to do, as I don't have the tools or the space.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Rooster said:
It was the TTR. Case splitting is not something I don't want to do, as I don't have the tools or the space.
if it's not something you don't want to do, does that mean you really want to? :nener:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Sam, At least it didn't happen at Tower City! The XR is a good bike and Rooster will have plenty of fun on it while you roost on the YZ ;)

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I would reconsider paying someone to do this job for you, these engines are really not too complicated when you take them apart. Get a manual and dig in, perhaps you could learn something :cool: I figure if it will cost $1000 to have someone fix it with no real benifit to you then you might as well just buy another bike.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Bodge said:
Get a manual and dig in, perhaps you could learn something :cool: I figure if it will cost $1000 to have someone fix it with no real benifit to you then you might as well just buy another bike.

Well that's easier said than done for many reasons:

1. I don't have the tools necessary.

2. I don't have a garage.

3. Why would having someone fix it be no real benefit to me? My bike would be fixed - and since I'm still paying for this bike, I'd like to keep it around for a while. I'm certainly not rich enough (or rich at all) to just go out and buy a brand new bike because mine is broken. :think:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Bodge said:
in benefit i meant knowledge in case this happens again.

So because I won't gain knowledge from fixing it I should just buy another bike?

Right....

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Papakeith said:
pick your battles grasshopper. Some are not worth fighting. .

Indeed.

Bodge - I can do the top end on my YZ with my eyes closed in short order. I have the tools to do that. I do not, however, have the time, tools and space to do a transmission in a TTR. The simple answer was to have it done by someone that has those things. Would I like to do it? Yes. Sadly, I can't afford the tools or the time.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Rooster said:
Indeed.

Bodge - I can do the top end on my YZ with my eyes closed in short order. I have the tools to do that. I do not, however, have the time, tools and space to do a transmission in a TTR. The simple answer was to have it done by someone that has those things. Would I like to do it? Yes. Sadly, I can't afford the tools or the time.

Don't ya just love having to justify your actions to total strangers on the 'net? :laugh:

[EDIT: Not to mention having to explain yourself multiple times and in multiple threads. LOL]

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Take the XR engine and put it in the TTR chassis.

Problem solved.

Top Bottom