Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Well as many of you may or may not have noticed. I don't post much these days. The last few months have been pretty difficult for me for personal reasons. The days were looking up to some extent, but with work being slow and the numerous lay-offs it has been pretty tense.

Now tomorrow I am traveling back to West Texas to see my 92 year old grand-mother, Agnes Adamson. Agnes (Nana) has been the foundation for our family as long as I can remember. She was a delight to be around, but a no-nonsense attitude concerning morals and I know of no one with a stronger Christian faith. She has survived several falls in her golden years that have resulted in broken arms and hips. She has had what to me would be debilitating arthritis for many years and eye problems that have made her legally blind in one eye and considerably diminished the sight in the other. Now she has developed congestive heart failure and many people don't think that she will make in until Christmas. This is hard to take because despite all her ailments she would still go out an tend to her flowers and mow her lawn this summer. She was just simply amazing to me and now I can't imagine that tomorrow my dad and uncle are putting her in a rest home. It's not right, it's not fair for someone this vivacious to go this way. I will be seeing her for what I feel will be the last time tomorrow until her final days of rest come. I have to go back to work on Thursday. I wish I could take off and spend more time out there with her. As it is, work is so slow I have started living out of my savings account now and most of you know the creditors might understand, but sympathy doesn't keep the lights on.

Anyway, I am just bummed and needed a place to express my self and get some of this off my chest.

Thanks for lending me your ear.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Randy, it saddens my heart to see your post.   My Grandmother was also known as "Nana" and she was also the no-nonsense one in the family.  Full of useful quips and a wry sense of humor.  I went through the same thing that you are now facing and each time I would visit her, I knew that it could very well be my last.  It was quite painful and I still miss her very much now that she is gone.  I'm sure that you will make the most of your visit with your Nana.

I did not realize your job was also a source of dis-harmony in your life.  I hope that what you are going through recovers soon and you walk again unfettered by life's pitfalls.  We always learn from them, but going through them is always a burden.

Natalie

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Sorry to hear Randy, enjoy the time that you can spend with her.

Hope it picks up for you buddy, lots of support here.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I feel you, Randy. My Gramma Louise (she's 90) was on the edge of something bad in the weeks leading up to DW03. I damn near pulled the pin because she had to have a lung biopsy to figure out what was wrong. Thankfully, everything was okay, and I visit her every chance I get.

We all gotta say goodbye sometime, and that happened a few years back with my other Gramma. I was there when she finally gave in to the congestive heart failure. Hard to take when someone who is known for their heart has that part of their body go down on them. The only solace one can take from it is that they are no longer suffering in any way. Not that it helps much, but it's better than nothing.

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
Randy

Try and keep your head up and work through things one day at a time. (I know that sounds trite, but that's all I got right now)  I'll keep you and your Gramma in my thoughts. :(

Jerry

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Sorry to hear that. Your post hits pretty close to home. My own grandmother has not been doing so well lately. She is 86 and really starting to slow down. You and your grandmother will be in my thoughts.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Randy same thoughts here as everyone is expressing. It is hard to watch loved ones age and spending time with them is the only way.
My father who has been an icon to me all my life is really showing his age and it hurts to watch as he slowly winds down.
I hope you can spend quality time with your Nana (both my grandmothers also went by that title) and at the same time get yourself back on track. You'll make it and during the hard times feel free to lean on any of us here at DRN

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Randy~I am so sorry to hear about your Nana. I semi-feel what you are going through, as my boyfriends grandmother (97) is not in the best of health either. We recently moved her out of her house and into his parents house as a result from a really nasty fall down the stairs, she's been dealing with physical therapy and the like. Spend as much time with her as you can in the coming days/weeks and remember you're in our thoughts.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Randy, my brother, I will keep you and your "nana" in my thoughts.  I hope your work picks up soon.  Keep in touch.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Randy

I will keep you and your Nana in my prayers.

Just today, my daughter said to me that she doesn't feel like my parents are her grandparents because they had been gone for a while before she was even born. As bad as it felt, I could understand.

Your relationship and your Nana is very special and will live on in your life. That my friend is the definition of eternity.

May your trip be safe and your days full of the life we all reach out for. Call me if I can help in ANY way.

Tony

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
So sorry to hear that, Randy. If it makes you feel better, remember she has had a long full life and is loved by your family.

It makes me sad that I never knew 2 of my grandparents, and didn't know the other ones well. My dad's parents have been gone since before I was born and we lost my mom's parents 5 years ago. I feel like I am missing out on the closeness you have with your grandma.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Randy,

Sorry to hear about the tense job situation, and your grandmother's illness.   She sounds like a heck of a lady.  Spend as much time with her now, and tell her how much you admire her attitude and experience.  Reminisce over the good times, and try to ignore the troubles that she is experiencing now.  I'm sure it is just as tough for her to accept the new living situation as it is for everyone else. 

Have a safe trip. 

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
:( My heart aches for you Randy. Make what time you have left with Nana the best.

My thoughts are with you.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Nana, my Brother.

Let us know if there is anything we can do.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I hate to hear that Randy.  I lost my grandmother last year, just before Dirtweek.  I don't think you ever get over loosing someone that close,  but you learn to live with it.  It can also give you motivation to live right, so you can be with her again someday.  I sure hope I get to see my Nannie again.

Hang in there.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Never got to know any of my grandparents, but I kinda know how you feel, my mom is getting up there and we may have to move her in with us. Have a safe trip and cherish the time you get to have with her now, hang in there.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Thank you all for your sentiments and prayers. We moved her in Monday. I thought my uncle was behind most of this and forcing her to go in. Turns out this is her idea and what she wants. It was just so hard to see her in a place where she had went to visit her friends that were younger than her. She is still very alert and sharp as a tack when it comes to memory. Actually much better than me in the memory department.

She is adjusting slowly but she said that this is what she wanted to do as I think the security of round the clock supervision is a comfort to her being legally blind and her only getting around ever so often with the aid of a walker.

I know I am truly blessed to have known this woman and to be her grandson. There will never be anyway that I could express to my fellow DRN brother/sisters, but then this is a special group, how I feel towards her and my thanks to you for your well wishes.

I have to go offshore as of now and will not be back unitl Christmas Day. Have a safe and Happy Holidays all.

Randy

Top Bottom