Burnt looking and smelling trans oil,any advice?

rcers

Jan 17, 2001
For the first couple of years I had my 04 KTM 300exc,every time I changed my tranny oil it would come out just as clean looking as it went in(Castrol 20/50).I change my oil after every ride or two rides max.Last few times that Ive changed my oil it comes out dark green and kinda burnt smelling.I have also noticed that my clutch has been occasionally slipping just a bit and harder to start in gear.I assumed that the plates were getting worn or glazed or maybe both.I ordered new fiber,metal and springs before tearing it apart.When I took it apart everything looked good,plates measured good,flat,no wear on basket ears,ect...While it was apart I went ahead and put the new stuff in for good measure because I allready had it on hand.
Well,it is still hard to start in gear and even slightly wants to creep when reving the engine while clutch is pulled in.I just changed the oil after a weekend Dual Sport ride and the oil is still dark green and smelling burnt.Ive been keeping a real close eye on my antifreeze(green) and there is no noticable drop in coolant level.
What the &^%$ is going on????
Is it possible maybe my water pump seal is leaking ever so slightly and while no noticable drop in coolant level,is contaminating my oil?The contaminated oil is causing my clutch to overheat and burning the oil?
Is the water pump seal the only place that water could enter the tranny oil on a two stroke?
I will probably get alot of feedback about using cheap motor oil in in my tanny,but Ive used Castrol 20/50 for many years in every bike Ive ever owned with no problems.First couple of years in this bike with no problems.
I would appreciate any advice I can get.THX

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Take a glass and dump some oil and water together and what do you get?The original poster ,did you check the hubs,plate warpage,measure the springs?If you really want cheap oil,get the no name,black and white bottle!Castrol is not the problem,all though even better oils are available,his clutch problem could be inherited for that bike,some are that way!

Top Bottom