Burnt Piston

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
Does anyone know how much it will cost for a new piston.
Can you get a kit with all the gaskets, piston, rings?
I burnt the piston a bit and lost the compression.
Any information would be useful :worship: :bang:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I just bought all new top end components, they include;
Pro-X piston, rings, wristpin and circlips- $145
Winderosa top end gasket kit- $45
wrist pin bearing- $10
All figures are AUD$.

maddawg

May 20, 2004
Try to go thru the manufacture direct it will be a little cheaper. I got mine thru Wiseco, just called them up and they sent it thru the mail it was considerably less.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
If you contact Jeff Fredette, he will put together a kit of just the parts you need including gaskets. That's what he did for me anyway. I always feel better after a job if I don't have extra parts left over, if you know what I mean.

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
I think this was cause by an exhaust leak that I thought was minor but turn out to be a major leak.
Doh!!

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
Aftermarket Piston

Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket piston for my 83 KDX 200? I have tried Weisco but they only have 86 and up.

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
It was leaking exhaust right off the cylinder and a little ways down the pipe I also found a crack in the pipe.

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
I was told by a bike mechanic that if the exhaust leaks really bad it will run too lean and that will over heat you piston. Could have also be caused by cheap 2 stroke oil. The bike ran fine for about and hour long ride then when we stopped for a while it would not start again. You could feel that there was no compression when you kicked it so I pulled it apart and found the piston has melted a bit and smeared over the bottom ring. The cylinder is ok just need to use some acid to clean the aluminum off, then scuff it up again.

CJS1

Mar 27, 2004
Yeah I read that in another post. I will just get some marroon scotch bright and scuff it that way. I have had the cylinder measured and for the age it was suprising how straight it is. The taper was only two microns and the bottom end was out of round by 2 microns which is literally nothing. I also had the piston to cylinder gap measured and it was only .0023" which falls perfectly into the 2-3 thou tolerence. Ordering the parts got put on hold once I got the prices back from Kawasaki. 50$ for piston rings is rediculous!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…