Burro Mtn, NM Ride - Gila National Forest Trails

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
(Unedited version)

Saw the post/invite in the KTMTalk Regional Forum; decided to go for it. Info was sketchy from my end, being GPS-deficient/ignorant, although I oversaw the installation of six antennas in Hawaii (not the receivers – that was the other crew’s responsibility though I had to learn how to calibrate the same); that matters little other than to add to the length of this write up and to prove I know/own squat.

I had to take care of domestic responsibilities before leaving Las Cruces at 11 am; but once I did it was clear sailing up to Silver City, to refuel and get some premium petro for the bike. And a stop to buy some figs; you see, they have more potassium than bananas, giving them an edge to prevent hand/arm cramps and fatigue. Only problem is they were sold out, so Plan B bananas it was.

Then it was off to old-towne Silver City to buy some candle holders my wife wanted at a small store (well: they’re all small there). Her description on the phone wasn’t quite right, and the shoppe owner offered to send her a phone-photo, but I wasn’t going to stick around for the verdict; a return to purchase on the morrow was arranged beforehand with the shoppe owner, and that will be done after my wife’s decision on which one – ended up being both, but by then I was at camp maening on the morrow the deal would be closed.

The drive to the Burro Mtn road/Mile-Marker 30 turnoff was rather abbreivated from SIlver City. So far the instructions-lite were correct. The hills were rolling with oaks and tall, dry grass – not much different than central California; I almost feel at home, though was expecting another ride in the desert per a previewed map - this was a pleasant surprise.

The well-graded road was not far from a mining operation; the piled soil too tall to tell what was being done on thither-yonder side. Further up the road the vegetation was reminisent of Los Padres National Forest in SoCA, and almost (heaven) Kennedy Meadows with the tall pines and oaks. THe air was cripsy-cool and had the scent of pine. Ahhh.

I made it to camp at a respectable 1:30 pm and parked near the one ID’d vehicle, though all persons were gone riding. One of the vehicles had a leashed dog, so I went by to say hi and check if he had water.

I decided to unload, setup my tent and gear up in the event they suddenly return and go out for a second loop, only to wait, and wait, and wwwwwwwaaaaaaaaiiiiiitttttt (my fault for not arriving sooner) …….well, why not run up the road and check the area out?

But before heading out I tried taking a nap. It became an apparent mistake to leave the tent open, as a fly came in; it would race toward the interior-tent peak and bonk! bonk! and bonk! repeatedly bounce off the ceiling, keeping me from napping; I could not swat the thing as it out flew my hand, and once giving up any attempt at napping, it escaped from whence it came. Back to exploring the area…

There were trails which lead hither and beyond; I’d get a mile or three in then remember it’s not wise to ride alone – no one knowing where I’d be – let alone who I am, in the event I’d do a head plant and become coyote dinner. The trails were fun; yes: like Los Padres and without the whoops! There were even multiple stream crossings; not much but enough for remembrance. I tried every branch off the main roads; most were two track; some single. In the end my ODO read 20-miles worth of exploring.

Back at camp it was getting towards 5 pm – maybe someone in the group got hurt? Well, in the interim, some kid from a nearby camp was pit racing near my camp (why not his?) The evil-eye did him in, and his bike, a TTR125. Maybe I shoiuld buzz his camp!? His TTR wasn’t running right; the battery died, and it sputtered thereafter. Eventually he made it back to his camp where dad was imbedding.

The AZ guys did make it back in, Eric and Joe. Eric said he would be leaving shortly (dang!) and Joe would do so before the first ride of the next day. With that he referred me to Tom, who was staying, and others in the nearby camp; I cannot remember their names as there were about a dozen or so around the fire ring. Having come in from a 65-mile loop, munchies provided immediate gratification and satisfaction to the hunger developed thus, and they were partaking to their full.

As the evening wore on it became evident this group was quite familiar with each other by all the smack talk therewith; funny to observe. I provided campfire management duties up 'til midnight when all was left were the ambers below and stars above. Other entertainment to pass the evening beforehand was provided by the teenagers who were given these extra-long balloons to blow up and release. For the most part they screeched upward, some reaching tree-top height before descending back to terra firma or became branch entangled; some traveled great distances with an amazing operating-ceiling, and were viewed/traced propelling on their way by spot-flashlights.

When morning came, few were up early. My propane-less situation was solved by Joe (thanks, bud). I was able to cook my breakfast and pack camp for a later-in-the-day quick departure after today’s ride. Some of the kids lead me on a short warm up loop while the other adults had breakfast and geared up. Thereafter I switched into Sahara gear in the nick of time.

We left on our loop at 11 am and were followed by Kawi Mules which packed fuel and beverages for the riders. The first casualty was one of the kids going over the bars on a rock out-cropping. He was fine and we all sped off after his uprightness restored. The trails were outrageous; my only minor complaint was the dust, albeit better than the warmer desert at lower elevations. Again, these trails remind me of Los Padres, touching on Kennedy Meadows, without hte meadows although I've been told they are around.

At 1 pm our leader decided it’d be best to call it a day as they had to pack head back to Tuscon. He suggested I ride on but I said we’d do more next time.

After changing I said good-bys (missed you, Tom and your fine wife; though your dogs appreciated the visit), said we’d do it again. I headed back to Silver City to meet up the shoppe owner to purchase the candle holders for my wife. The town was quiet on this Sunday as I headed back home.

Top Bottom