Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
"NOOOOO! I cant believe that little wipout just broke the fillerneck off my tank!" <----as you can image, there were many explicatives in that sentence in real life.

So, now what? Can I fix this? Will a plastic welding shop be able to patch this back together? How about epoxies?

Just so you know, the crack goes 320 degrees around the base of the filler neck. It has not completely broke off.

And can you believe this happened on the absolute LAST turn out of the woods, I mean, I was literally 15 feet from the pavement and my truck. GRRRRRRRR.

B.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
This is a know defect in some KDX tanks. Kawasaki will replace the tank with a new one whether you are the original owner or not. This topic has been covered a number of times here and the relevant contact info provided. Do a search of the contents of this forum and you'll find all the info you're looking for.

David

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Just as we were arriving at our riding spot, my Bud's loading ramp got loose, fell off the trailer forward, caught on the ground and got jammed into my KDX's tank and cut a 4" wide gash. Released a full tank of gas in no time. Think the Kawasaki tank warrantee will cover this? ;)

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I was just on Ebay this morning and saw a fuel tank for a 97 - 00 KDX220 up for bids. At this time its bid is $20.00. The seller is motojoh@yahoo.com, the tank is located in EBay under motorcycle parts and accesories, search for KDX220. This may be a good way to get the tank if you cant get Kawasaki to warranty it.

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Update:

I called Skagit Motorsports here in Washington where I live and told them of my busted tank. He asked for my VIN# and name and said that he would call the Kawi factory. About 1 hour later I got a call back from them, and he said that they will replace the tank for free. Kick ass!

Here is the best part, he even offered to give me any other tank that I wanted if I didnt want another factory tank. I would have to pay more if the aftermarket tank was more of course, but he would put the $$$ from the fac. tank toward a new aftermarket. So, I got a clear (white) IMS tank and the $$$ came out even.

This is an amazing dealer to work with.
http://www.skagitpowersports.com/

B.

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Kamofly,

Im not sure if Kawi considers it a warranty. Im sure they are not calling this a recall because that would cost them too much money. My opinion from the stories told here about the cracked tanks and my own experience is that if you go to a dealer about this they will call Kawi and ask what they will do. Both the dealers in my area said they never had to deal with cracked tank before and did not know what to do on this matter before calling Kawi. This leads me to believe that there is a problem with the way Kawi made these tanks and are not telling anyone about it. It appears that they are dealing with this case by case basis.

All I can say is if you have a cracked tank, call your dealer and tell them about it. See what happens. If you get told no, make the tell you what years were affected or covered by Kawi's replacement policy. You do have to tell them the bike's VIN#. I was also the 2nd owner, so being the 1st and only owner is apparently not a problem.

Good Luck.

B.

Top Bottom