Buy a new/newer bike or upgrade the current one?

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
Last winter I picked up a 2000 RM250 that was pretty much stock and in great shape. After adding the usual stuff (bars, clamps, pipe, muffler etc) as well as changing the piston and rings I've had an awesome trouble free year.

As winter approaches here in the North East I'm thinking about what I should do for next year. My bike probably should get a new clutch, clutch basket, top end, suspension job, plastics, graphix, and maybe cables over the winter. As you all know this stuff adds up very quickly.

So should I shell out the $800 some odd dollars on my 2000 or pick up a 2002 or 2003 that doesn't need all this work? It seems like the better value would be to pick up a newer bike.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i would buy some digital calipiers for $20 before you do anything. Take the clutch and piston out and measure it before deciding it needs replacing. Remove the cables and inspect and maybe lube them and they should be OK.

dont worry about the plastic since they dont stay new for long, but if you feel like it, new graphics will make the bike look much more respectable.

the 250 2 strokes really havent changed that much recently so it looks like i just saved you $600!:) that is, unless you want to trade the 2 stroke for a new 4 stroke!:silly:

oh and dont forget new tires will help!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I say keep the bike.. If you go new, your gonna more than likely, want a pipe, bars and suspension.. Freshen up the 2000 and ride :)

I was planning on buying a new bike this year but decided too pay off my current one, then go buy a 05 CRF450 :)

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Heck yeah. Make sure that the clutch and piston are bad before you buy a whole new bike to replace them.

knowwhatimeanvern?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i always like to have a newer bike for my race bike. i usually try to sell them when they are two-three years old (like yours). before all that kind of stuff needs replaced.

there's nothing quite like the feel of a new bike.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by mx547
i always like to have a newer bike for my race bike. i usually try to sell them when they are two-three years old (like yours). before all that kind of stuff needs replaced.

ditto :thumb: You start replacing more and more stuff as they age...after doing a complete bottom-up rebuild I drew the line for my '02 race bike and put it for sale. It's still a great....FUN!!! bike and all but that nice new thumpa' is callin my name :yeehaw:

Top Bottom