Never2Old

Nov 30, 2006
I just bought a street bike and sold my beloved Honda CRF450 to pay for it. I want to stay in the motocross sport but need to buy a less expensive bike b/c of my street bike purchase.

I am trying to stay in the $1300 and below range for a '99 or newer bike. Because of the low budget I have been looking only at 2 stroke 250's.

I just came across a 2002 Yamaha YZ426f (4stroke) for my price range. Can anyone give me some pros and cons on this bike? Please keep in mind that we're talking about a cheapo bike versus something more expensive.

Thanks, Rob

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The 426 is heavy, takes a lot of mods for suspension, handling and jetting to work properly. They have great power and reliability, but anything 4 stroke that cheap is just a bomb.

For $1500 you can find a good used 250 2 stroke. That will keep maintenance cost down also.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey Rob! For what it's worth,I just traded a KDX220 for a YZF426,so the price range was about 1200 dollars or so. I'm 2 years older than you and ride motocross once or twice a week. I did have to put about 400 dollars into it to set up the suspension for me,a 250 pound rider,along with a few other items that needed replacement. So far,so good on the motor,and I'm loving the power and suspension. For sure it's a step down for you from your crf, but if the bike is in good shape,I think it's worthy of consideration. If you want to check out many pages of pro's and con's on a YZF 426,check out the "Why should I buy a YZF426?" thread on page 2 of this forum. Informative and entertaining! I hope you find the right bike at the right price. Ride On!

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I have a 1999 YZ400F and for the most part, I love the bike. They can be a bit tricky to start if they are not jetted just right and they are a little heavy. This bike was the first with the new generation 4 stroke engine. I suppose whether Yamaha started it all is debateable. Also, they have a tendency to run a bit hot, especially for slow trail riding. My bike has plenty of power. You can read my thread about the coolant overflow...that topic posted now.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Coming off of a CRF450 it will be a huge let down. I had a 99 400 and an 02 426 and loved them both until I rode a CRF450. The 400/426 were heavy, did not turn well, did not jump well, they did handle the whoops nicely though.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a 250 2t.

Top Bottom